David Cameron to place minimum price on booze!

I hear 40p a unit.

Who is that going to affect apart from folk who sadly find their life in the bottom of a cider or vodka bottle? Strong cider costs just 50p a pint or less from the supermarket.

Do you see much trouble outside Tescos? This change will have no affect on bars, it's targeted at supermarkets.

Yes. They have security staff constantly at the door and I've seen them used a few times.

I hear 40p a unit.

Who is that going to affect apart from folk who sadly find their life in the bottom of a cider or vodka bottle? Strong cider costs just 50p a pint or less from the supermarket.

40p a unit?

Shot of vodka = 1 unit. So £16 for a litre bottle of vodka. Costs that now, doesnt it?

I hear 40p a unit.

What makes you think everyone who drinks cheap cider is an alcoholic!...........I'm quite partial to a bottle of frosty jack's myself! :hihi:

40p a unit?

Shot of vodka = 1 unit. So £16 for a litre bottle of vodka. Costs that now, doesnt it?

Asda's own brand vodka is equivalent to £12.53 a litre, so it'd be going up by almost a third.

As Cyclone says, if Asda's own brand cheapy vodka has to be sold at £16 a bottle, what are they going to charge for Smirnoff?

I hear 40p a unit.

It'll affect people that like to bulk buy their lager when it's on special offer & other people that look for the lowest prices. The poor, basically.

It's starting at 40p a unit, no doubt Tescos will push for above inflation increases on that. Tesco wouldn't be arguing for it if they thought it'd reduce sales, it's just government backed price fixing.

It wont affect problem drinkers, they're addicted & they'll just pay more, steal it, or steal to buy it. If the price goes up too much it'll lead to more crime & a larger black market.

Will this also get people back into pubs? If it doesn't cost much more to drink in a pub because their prices are already above the minimum would this be good for the pub trade?

This is the only good think that can come of this.........Well, I can't think of any more anyway!

Archived