David Cameron to place minimum price on booze!

I read in the metro that the idea was that they are suggesting the "minimum cost" to be cost price, ie supermarkets would not be able to subsidise alcohol. Sounds like a good idea to me, they should do it with milk and many other goods.

I'm guessing that you don't think that 3l of strong cider costs Tesco £1.12.

Has anyone bothered to search for this story online? If the OP had bothered to check his facts, he would find that his thread title is wrong, it's not Cameron who want to put a minimum price on booze, it's some "health watchdog" group called NICE!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10207827.stm

I have no idea why we should listen to an unelected quango like this when all of us are quite capable of deciding how much alcohol to consume ourselves!

Has anyone bothered to search for this story online? If the OP had bothered to check his facts, he would find that his thread title is wrong, it's not Cameron who want to put a minimum price on booze, it's some "health watchdog" group called NICE!

This was a recommendation of The Health Select Committee under the last government - a proposal that was strongly supported by the committee's chairman, Kevin Barron, Labour MP for the Rother Valley.

It's nothing to do with "the toffs being in charge" - you can object all you like, but get your facts right first.

Short answer - yes :-)

Whats your evidence that people spend half their benefit money on beer?

Now let me guess...you are a Daily Mail reader. :hihi:

Ah, you're one of those who hate a newspaper because apparently its "cool" to do so.

Incidentally, I haven't bought a newspaper in years.

Ah, you're one of those who hate a newspaper because apparently its "cool" to do so.

Incidentally, I haven't bought a newspaper in years.

Whats your evidence that its cool to hate the Daily Mail?

And you still haven't provided evidence of my first point.

This is just about the only potential Tory policy I fully agree with. A very smart move.

Don't worry too much about the likes of Tesco - they'll find other loss leaders to draw people in. After all that's what they did before the booze price wars.

I have no idea why we should listen to an unelected quango like this when all of us are quite capable of deciding how much alcohol to consume ourselves!

Have you bothered to read all the posts in this topic??? I've already mentioned that i'm aware of this fact! It was something I heard on my way out of the house this morning..............Plus I don't like David Cameron!

Archived