Council offering jobs not open to all applicants

Also the thread title is highly misleading since the evidence is that the Council employs more Whites than are represented in the community.

so are you saying that councils should employ an equal percentage of all ethnic backgrounds so to have a balanced workforce ?

personally i always thought give the job to whoever is best qualified to do the job - not because they need a certain number of a certain ethnic background to balance the books .

so are you saying that councils should employ an equal percentage of all ethnic backgrounds so to have a balanced workforce ?

personally i always thought give the job to whoever is best qualified to do the job - not because they need a certain number of a certain ethnic background to balance the books .

That's what I think too, same with gender/age etc. Best person for the job not making up the numbers!

I would hate to feel I got a job just because they needed more females to appease some pointless 'equality' rules :mad:

No, he's saying that this title

Local council refuses to employ white people!

Is misleading, because it's patently and obviously not true.

For that particular post, they are refusing to employ white people.

So a more honest title would be 'Council provides limited numbers of training places for ethnic minorities.'

Not so very scarey unless you're one of those poor unfortunate creatures who see the whole of life as a rather unfair and threatening thing.

It doesn't seem right to me but the Race Relations Act of 1976 states that "If a racial group is under-represented councils can offer training to individuals from that group".

OK, fair enough but would would your suggestion be to redress the imbalance between employment and racial make up?

(that is assuming you do see it as a problem and want the imbalance redressed)

John X

So a more honest title would be 'Council provides limited numbers of training places for ethnic minorities.'

Not so very scarey unless you're one of those poor unfortunate creatures who see the whole of life as a rather unfair and threatening thing.

Ethnic minorities...if you are white and live in Darnall or Pitsmoor or even St Pauls in Bristol would you come under that banner ?

Some Local white fire fighters in my area had a similar situation ,after all of them passing a written test the the black fire fighters didn't pass, the town sided with the black f fighters and wanted to re-do the test to make it easier, the situation was taken on by the Supreme court, the white f fighters won and were able to keep their original winning test results...sad part was they only won by one vote, it should have been unanimous.

Archived