Council offering jobs not open to all applicants

As the article points out it is a training opportunity under provisions in the 1976 Race Relations Act and not a permanent job.

I'm surprised a training opportunity of 2 years can afford to pay £18k per year.

All employed apprentices must receive a wage of £95 per week*. However, as skills develop, many employers tend to increase wages – in fact, research has found that apprentices earn an average of £170 net pay per week.

* Please note that wage rates for roles within the Agricultural sector may differ from the minimum wage stated above.

source

Then consider graduates have to pay for their degrees.

If it's a training opportunity then surely all graduates regardless of race should be entitled to opportunities paying so well.

There are not many permanent jobs around any more, seldom do you see a 'job for life' advertised.

Whilst Labour were in power at the time, had the Tories wanted to repeal or change that legislation they had a couple of decades in which to do so.

Also the thread title is highly misleading since the evidence is that the Council employs more Whites than are represented in the community.

How should the council employ people?

How are they over represented? Any statistics on this you'd care to link to.

An organization should not automatically represent it's community. It should slowly change over time with the dynamics of the community.

If 100 people apply for a job each of them of equal ability, each should have a 1/100 chance.

With increased BME population we should see an increase in applications for jobs, over a generation/the lifetime of an employment contract, then changes should become apparent.

Or do you suggest we replace white peoples jobs with BME staff to make companies equally representative of the communities they serve, instead of allowing equal chance to get a job/very well paid training opportunities.

The best way to resolve this situation is to give the vacancy to the best person for the job, regardless of their skin colour.

That is fine if you have equality of opportunity in education, and training but when you don't, why should those who are disadvantaged by the system in childhood and early life, go on to be disadvantaged in adult life? :confused:

John X

That is fine if you have equality of opportunity in education, and training but when you don't, why should those who are disadvantaged by the system in childhood and early life, go on to be disadvantaged in adult life? :confused:

John X

Why should they have had a disadvanged childhood and education?

How about the right person for the job, or the best qualified person, not the person who ticks the right ethnical box!

Does this mean if I had a company that only had black people on the payroll, I could advertise for whites only to help balance out the ethnicity of my employees? Or would I be called a racist and no doubt pursued by the police etc?

This is just stupid!

Training positions, not vacancies.

Ethnic minorities in Bristol make up 12% of the population but only 7% of council employees.

As I asked another poster, if that is an unacceptable situation, what do you think should be done about it?

John X

How many have recently immigrated.

What is the make up of the working population?

Ethnic minorities account for 15% of the under 15 population (i.e. they are over represented), they can't work for the council can they now. What of the 16-24s? Seemingly they need to be 24 before finishing their degree and 'training' to be able get a job at the council and become an 'employee' opposed to 'trainee'.

And White other, do we class the group as an ethnic minority?

It could include White English, Scottish, or Welsh who didn't wan't to tick British or Irish (what do you tick for Northern Ireland?).

How about the right person for the job, or the best qualified person, not the person who ticks the right ethnical box!

Does this mean if I had a company that only had black people on the payroll, I could advertise for whites only to help balance out the ethnicity of my employees? Or would I be called a racist and no doubt pursued by the police etc?

This is just stupid!

I think it does mean that yes.

Archived