Fatal shootings in Cumbria

Yesterday i was watching the news about this and all i saw was the police patting their selfs on the back for the good job they recon they did.

Im a bit lost,how the ...did they do a good job? 12 people died,and a further 25 injured with no police intervention at all,the guy did exactly what he wanted ,when he wanted right to the end.

So what exactly did the police do well? Cover the bodies?

What could they have done differently? They got his name and picture out very fast - threw a blanket across the areas they believed him to be in - telephoned places like the local pub in Boot telling them to lock up and keep people safe, and organised a huge scale manhunt - the likes of which are thankfully very rare.

It was never going to end nicely - and there was always a very high chance he would take his own life (as you rightly said - he did exactly what he wanted). However I really don't believe we have anything like all the facts in the public domain to start making assumptions about what the police did (or didn't do well).

What could they have done differently? They got his name and picture out very fast - threw a blanket across the areas they believed him to be in - telephoned places like the local pub in Boot telling them to lock up and keep people safe, and organised a huge scale manhunt - the likes of which are thankfully very rare.

It was never going to end nicely - and there was always a very high chance he would take his own life (as you rightly said - he did exactly what he wanted). However I really don't believe we have anything like all the facts in the public domain to start making assumptions about what the police did (or didn't do well).

I think Xt thought the police should have known ahead of time that a shooting was going to take place :roll:

Now that the guy is dead, would police be able to access his medical files to see if he had any problems which could have contributed to what he has done?

No doubt there'll be some attempt to medicalise the fact that he was a bitter and twisted inadequate and to blame his actions on a professional. He chose to act the way he did because it gave him a sense of power but people often try to understand these events by attributing them to madness.

I think Xt thought the police should have known ahead of time that a shooting was going to take place :roll:

They had over 3 hours from the first shooting,the guy was hardly rushing around and was driving his own vehicle for most of the time,a monkey could have caught him!The police are incompedent idiots who were probably hiding till it was over.

I dont need specific facts to know this guy was driving around in his own vehicle shooting people.Witnesses would have been calling the police station with sightings yet no effort was made to head off this man at all to prevent others being murdered.Someone needs to be held accountable for the shocking way he was dealt with or rather wasnt.

Exactly, If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

I wonder why this shooter had a scope on his gun ,shooting at close range as he did , he must be a hunter, his friend that got shot in the back was lucky he wasn't paralyzed .

As we now know he used two different types of firearms. What I can't understand is how he legaly owned two firearms as he is reported not to be a shooting club member.

I am a shooting club member and some years (80s) ago I held a firearms certificate (FAC) when I left the club I no longer had good reason to hold a firearm so I was asked to return my FAC and legaly dispose of my firearm.

At the moment I only use a 12ftlb target air rifle so I don't need a certificate, in the 80s it was my club who told me when I was ready to apply, had they not sanctioned it the police would have turned down my application regardless of if I ticked all the other boxes.

Yesterday i was watching the news about this and all i saw was the police patting their selfs on the back for the good job they recon they did.

Im a bit lost,how the ...did they do a good job? 12 people died,and a further 25 injured with no police intervention at all,the guy did exactly what he wanted ,when he wanted right to the end.

So what exactly did the police do well? Cover the bodies?

Funny that, in most of the reports and specially newspaper photos I've seen most of the police looked distraught.

What shocked me yesterday was the media coverage, on one channel last night they were almost glorifying in it ... talking about the in depth programne they were going to screen tonight (Thursday) all the analysis etc etc. Very bad taste, I thought.

One thing I have realised is how little coverage this story is getting compared to Hungerford and Dunblane and how on many forums more people seem to be more shocked at the lack of Adobe Flash on the new ipad.

One of the most bizarre things I saw in a newspaper about this event was I think in The Sun, it said "people ran screaming looking for cover as they were picked off using a gun powerful enough to drop a dinosaur" :roll:

Next they will be saying "neighbours regularly saw him at night shooting craters in the moon with his Howitzer".

A .22 will kill you as we have seen, but the fact remains it is a rabbit gun and most hunters wouldnt even recommend them for foxes.

One of the most bizarre things I saw in a newspaper about this event was I think in The Sun, it said "people ran screaming looking for cover as they were picked off using a gun powerful enough to drop a dinosaur" :roll:

Some dinosaurs were quite small, about the size of rabbits.

They had over 3 hours from the first shooting,the guy was hardly rushing around and was driving his own vehicle for most of the time,a monkey could have caught him!The police are incompedent idiots who were probably hiding till it was over.
does cumbria have a firearms responce team ? i guess they dont so would have had to wait until one arrived from a neighbouring town/city so this could have took some time to implement . i also think that unarmed police officers cant attend a incident such as this one without armed police being in attendance.

Archived