Fatal shootings in Cumbria

True. In America things like this happen almost daily and are so common they barely make the news.

It's a measure of how safe this country is that stories such as this are so shocking to us.

It doesn't shock me at all. I'm English.

There 's no need, I think, to add any details about the Cumbrian killings, as it has already been said.

However, I think one thing, in general, is worth saying. I 've noticed that in the countries where these spree killings take place, there is usually a high degree of competition [ to succeed materially--U.S.A. ] or a high degree of control [ U.K., China { recently } ] ]. It 's as though, statistically, a certain type of person snaps under the strain. This is not to excuse their actions, but it just seems to be the situation, in fact. I may be wrong, but, I can 't imagine such ' outbursts ' in sleepy, laid-back countries. Anyone have any further statistics or info. ?

The latest press reports suggest that a high tax demand may have led the Cumbrian gunman to snap. I had one of these a few years ago, more or less accusing me of trying to dodge paying tax, by ignoring their letters. It turned out that they 'd been sending the letters to the wrong country ! They apologised nicely, in the end, but for the Cumbrian man, such a demand may have been the last straw in a number of bureaucratic balls-ups ? I suppose the full picture will emerge eventually------and of course, no paper-pusher will be remotely to blame for any ' contribution ' to the tragedy !

Inequality and homicide have a statically significant relationship. Inequality does not have any statistical effect wrt civil war.

However, after the civil war, homicide remains about 25% higher for a few years.

They had over 3 hours from the first shooting,the guy was hardly rushing around and was driving his own vehicle for most of the time,a monkey could have caught him!The police are incompedent idiots who were probably hiding till it was over.

I must admit, I thought the Home Secretary :gag: was a bit previous in her congratulations of the police. Yes, I'm sure that many worked extremely hard, above and beyond, in fact, but how come there wasn't air support to the area straight away, and why couldn't he have been headed off earlier?

The latest press reports suggest that a high tax demand may have led the Cumbrian gunman to snap. I had one of these a few years ago, more or less accusing me of trying to dodge paying tax, by ignoring their letters. It turned out that they 'd been sending the letters to the wrong country ! They apologised nicely, in the end, but for the Cumbrian man, such a demand may have been the last straw in a number of bureaucratic balls-ups ? I suppose the full picture will emerge eventually------and of course, no paper-pusher will be remotely to blame for any ' contribution ' to the tragedy !

I too was hounded and harrassed, with unhappy consequences, due to our tax heavies, and it all started with their incompetence and then a catalogue of errors. How they treat people is disgusting and it would not surprise me one bit if this was behind the killings. It's time the incompetent, spineless tax bullies, had a few ground rules.

The BBC are reporting that the police are still searching for Derek Bird, who has been identified as the gunman involved in the shooting of a number of people in Whitehaven and Egremont in Cumbria.

I feel sorry for Derek Bird, what a terrible downer he was in.

I am waiting with baited breath for the lefties on this forum to try and blame Margaret Thatcher for this man's horrific crimes. No doubt they will blame his actions on the supposed break down of society.

That's not what I meant at all.

Archived