Fatal shootings in Cumbria

Oh Lord.

They are now discussing on breakfast news that he may have been staying up late, drinking coffee and watching a Steven Seagal movie, On Deadly Ground, the night before the attack.

Straws and clutching!

Ruby if I was a young man again and with no family to worry about and Britain was in the same bad situation as it was say in 1940 I'd be over there like a shot to volunteer my services in any way I could. Dont under estimate people like buck and myself. We are of the old school

You'll have me crying in a minute. :hihi:

I am waiting with baited breath for the lefties on this forum to try and blame Margaret Thatcher for this man's horrific crimes. No doubt they will blame his actions on the supposed break down of society.

Is this a new version of Godwins Law?

It shows where she stands in the national psyche if that is the case.

I know i am probably going to suffer the wrath of SF for this but i really feel sorry for the guy who did the shooting, he must have been in a very dark place :(

In that case why not just kill himself?

This was planned and premeditated murder on the scale of a Stephen King novel.

In that case why not just kill himself?

This was planned and premeditated murder on the scale of a Stephen King novel.

Probably because he was in a dark place. I don't know why he did not just shoot himself but he obviously needed help and just "lost it".

My sympathies are with EVERYONE who lost thier lives that day.:(

I know i am probably going to suffer the wrath of SF for this but i really feel sorry for the guy who did the shooting, he must have been in a very dark place :(

I think we cam empathise with someone who finds themselves in a position that they see no escape from, but the consequences of Bird's actions, which were totally unnecessary and disproportionate to any anxiety he was suffering from, mean the 'sorrow' should be entirely directed at his victims and their families, I'd include his mother in that category, who lost both her sons that day.

I think we cam empathise with someone who finds themselves in a position that they see no escape from, but the consequences of Bird's actions, which were totally unnecessary and disproportionate to any anxiety he was suffering from, mean the 'sorrow' should be entirely directed at his victims and their families, I'd include his mother in that category, who lost both her sons that day.

My bold.

To anyone on the outside of Derek Birds mind they may seem unnecessary and disproportionate to the anxieties he had but to him it was a different story. Everyone reacts individually to external and internal stresses and the mind is very much like an elastic band, stretch it too much or at the wrong time and it will snap.

This man clearly had had enough and it makes me sad to think of what a mess he would have been in that morning.

I have seen people on the edge of sanity and i have seen people so mixed up inside that they just cannot function correctly and its sad that it sometimes results in tragedy. :(

True. In America things like this happen almost daily and are so common they barely make the news.

It's a measure of how safe this country is that stories such as this are so shocking to us.

true it happens far too often, but it does not happen every day, and it always makes the news big time. I am truly sorry to hear about this terrible event. What happened to the very strict gun laws you had?:confused:

Archived