Fatal shootings in Cumbria

The nearest police chopper was probably Manchester or Sheffield. They cost an inordinate amount of money to run. Way too expensive for the Cumbrian police force who, as Artisan has already pointed out, don't usually have to deal with such matters.

The police agency owning the chopper could recover some of the money by billing the person for service rendered.

Many hikers do dumb things like hiking alone or without a cell phone or compass or ignoring bad weather warnings, not bringing water or energy bars or trying to be amateur mountaineers, not wearing suitable clothing or footwear

It's only fair that if their lives are saved by an emergency air lift that they should pay part of the cost of keeping a chopper in the air for a period of time

We have a mountain range behind our house where people often get lost or injured falling down slopes or sheer drops.

The paramedic service of the fire department have a helicopter on call for such emergencies with a traine paramedic on board. The hospital near us has a landing pad for them also. Of course such a set up is not possible for many other places and that's understandable.

And you also have a police helicopter for chases such as the topic on this thread? What sort of area do they have to cover? Are the two interchangeable?

I'm asking to try to work out the difference in the provision, as you seemed to expect that the police would be looking for a missing hiker who might be injured, rather than Mountain Rescue coupled with the medical emergency helicopter.

We have a mountain range behind our house where people often get lost or injured falling down slopes or sheer drops.

The paramedic service of the fire department have a helicopter on call for such emergencies with a traine paramedic on board. The hospital near us has a landing pad for them also.

Of course such a set up is not possible for many other places and that's understandable.

The rescued person is also sent a nice little bill from the fire department for around 1500 dollars for that service also which on top of the bill he/she gets from the hospital for emergency medical treatment probably give em a heart attack anyhow.

I am from many year ago a member of the Derbyshire Cave Rescue Association.

We paid for all our own gear, stood rotating turns every week, year in year out, as I believe the Mountain and Cave Rescue teams do today.

We would not have dreamed of charging someone we helped off the Mountain, or rescued from the cave one penny.

That person could be us the next day.

The Cumbrian Police as as good as any Police in the world

Is your local bobby looking over his shoulder all the time for a deranged gunman?

I dont want to fall out with our cousins but comments such as these are beyond the Pale

The police agency owning the chopper could recover some of the money by billing the person for service rendered.

It's a different set up. You were asking about why the police didn't have a chopper in the air for the chase of Bird. Now you've shifted onto injured climbers/hikers. Not the same, see my question above about your arrangements.

Very interesting I must say and suppose the Mountain Rescue people find the lost hiker gravely injured? Do they carry that person down on a gurney to a waiting ambulance? Might make sense if time was not of the essence that is

As far as shooting sprees are concerned people in every peaceful unexpected place like Cumbria or Columbine always echo the same question

"How could it happen in our neighborhood?"

Well it can and it does and very unfortinately it will continue to happen in the future

By a gurney, do you mean a stretcher?

Speak English please you colonial oaf.:mad:

It's a different set up. You were asking about why the police didn't have a chopper in the air for the chase of Bird. Now you've shifted onto injured climbers/hikers. Not the same, see my question above about your arrangements.

Are you talking about choppers used in crime situations?

Yes we have police choppers and the service covers our town and the two neigbouring towns the cost being covered and shared by all three towns.

You see them now and again circling a location where a crime might have taken place or a traffic chase in progress coordinating with police on the ground. They are equipped with search lights for night use and can pin point a specific spot relaying data to officers when required

Hope that answers your question

By a gurney, do you mean a stretcher?

Speak English please you colonial oaf.:mad:

I thought a stretcher was someone like yourself. A person who stretches the truth to the point of sheer <removed> :)

Begone you moorland Churl

Yeah well...there was no helicopter...your point being?

Point being that a chopper could have pursued him, overtaken him and a trained police sharpshooter shoot out the tires of his car before he reached the next village.

Didn't he drive through several villages during the spree?

Maybe you dont have SWAT tems on call for regional emergiencies though

Point being that a chopper could have pursued him, overtaken him and a trained police sharpshooter shoot out the tires of his car before he reached the next village.

Didn't he drive through several villages during the spree?

and has been explained to you.....there was no chopper because the police in Cumbria don't have one, because on 235623 days out of 235624 they don't need one.

Archived