Fatal shootings in Cumbria

Nice campsite! You'd have had to have kept hold of your tent with the helicopters flying low.

We're off there for a wedding on Friday and off walking up Eskdale at the weekend. Not put us off going though, these things could happen anywhere.

No need to be put off if the reports are correct. The gunman is dead!

People watch stuff like this because its tragic and worrying and interesting. Its hardly rubbernecking or entertainment. Its concern for fellow human beings.

We could all ignore whats happening because it doesnt concern us personally... but.... we`d have people saying that no one cares then.

I take it you've never been to America then?

Yes it is slightly larger both in area and in population, New York is very safe to walk around these days, as are other large US cities. If we were to add the none gun related UK serial killings to the three shootings mentioned, we don't look that safe.

There is very little that anyone can do against a previously law abiding person who decides to go native.

At least the body count appears to have gone down, I hope.

No need to be put off if the reports are correct. The gunman is dead!

Indeed, which is what I said.

It's the sort of thing which can put people off visiting an area, simply because they've seen something bad on the news.

You don't know whether anyone has family or friends in the area unless they have stated it though, do you?

One of my friends lives right in the middle of this in Egremont. I didn't think that I had to explain that to the world at large before being allowed to be concerned about what's happening.

Sorry, it's not people with friends ands relatives in the area I'm referring to, it's the way "rolling news" channels handle tragic events like this so insensitively (and are doing as we speak).

All we need to know is what's happened, if the gunman's still on the loose and whether it's safe to leave your house (if in the area).

We don't need on-the-spot reporters, graphic footage of dead bodies in the streets and crime "experts" speculating as to what tipped the gunman over the edge.

As if the poor people who've lost loved ones today haven't enough to cope with, they'll be hounded by reporters and photographers and have their loved ones pictures splashed all over the media when they just want to be left alone to grieve in private. That's what I find so distasteful.

Sorry, it's not people with friends ands relatives in the area I'm referring to, it's the way "rolling news" channels handle tragic events like this so insensitively (and are doing as we speak).

All we need to know is what's happened, if the gunman's still on the loose and whether it's safe to leave your house (if in the area).

We don't need on-the-spot reporters, graphic footage of dead bodies in the streets and crime "experts" speculating as to what tipped the gunman over the edge.

As if the poor people who've lost loved ones today haven't enough to cope with, they'll be hounded by reporters and photographers and have their loved ones pictures splashed all over the media when they just want to be left alone to grieve in private. That's what I find so distasteful.

Thank you for clarifying that, and it turns out that I agree with all of that now you've explained your position.

Even though I like to stay on top of current affairs, it's not 'entertainment'.

But surely that's what news is? To me, it's very important to share the abborance of this as a society, that this is unacceptable and for us all to share our indignity towards this behaviour. It reaffirms our belief as human beings about what is morally right. It would be worse in my opinion, for it to be a two bit story on the news and then they continue to talk about something like Charlotte Church's marriage breakdown.

It is a blemish on the moral code that whatever our own beliefs are, the majority of humanity share that this is vile. Whether you are religious or not (I'm not)- it's still one of the biggest sins of humanity. Discussing it makes us feel more "right" psychologically, that we know this isn't right. The fact you continue to read this thread rather than go about your daily business must also indicate that you also belong to this moral code.

Archived