De We Remember Absolutely Everything?

I`ve had the same landline number for almost 5 years now and I`m damned if I can remember it. I even had it written on the back of my hand- I had it there for four months, re writing it every day and I STILL cant remember it!

Yet I can remember my mobile phone number... not my current mobile phone number, oh no, its not as simple as that, I can remember the number of the mobile phone I had in 1997.

I think stuff like that is attitude to remembering it. I can't remember my personal mobile number because when ever anyone asks I have a mental block and all I think is "damn I can never remember this one" however can learn mates numbers after hearing/dialling once or twice. Strange.

Part of the reason it's harder to remember your own phone number is because you don't call yourself on the phone...

Plus Ive discovered that the more important something is, the more likely Im to forget it.

If Im told that I absolutely must remember something, then its gone flying with the little birdies within seconds of being told it.

Yet I can remember the little dog on Land of the giants in 1969.

He was called Chipper.

My sister accuses me of remembering everything. The secret is, I just remember different things than she does. I try to remember this when spending time with my kids, you never know when they are making a memory that will last a life time.

As for me, I have too many temp files in my brain and wish I could clear up some space in my memory to remember new things but I've not figured out how to delete those temp files yet.

One thing, as I age, I am acutely aware that I no longer remember things like I should so I'm smart enough to put reminders for myself for things I know I will forget, like that it's 60's day at my daughters school tomorrow or I have a dentist appointment next week.

I was reading a blog the other day about growing up on Parson cross (Bushbabys blog) and a lot of the events that were told happened in much the same time that I lived there - in fact I could have been just around the corner or on the next field on several occasions and it brought back a lot of old memories.

Some of the memories were of big things like breaking my arm or being beaten senseless by a local nutter but I also remembered little insignificant things like Bits of broken milk bottle in the dried mud with moss growing in it and a friend saying it was "Frankensteins hand!" in a terrified voice. (we were five at the time)

It got me thinking...

Do we remember absolutely everything that happens to us all through our lives?

I hear of hypnotists dragging information from people from decades ago that they were sure they had long forgotten and I`m always remembering pointless little things from my childhood and onwards.

I can remember things that can have no value or use in later years - I mean its all well and good remembering important stuff like `Stay away from Deerlands close when Skippys around cos he`s a loony` and `Dont lick the moving traffic!` because theyre survival things, things that are important.

But what about the trivial stuff? What about Holding a privet leaf or a blade of grass between your thumbs to blow into to make a squeaking sound? Or pulling the legs off flys and dropping them onto ants nests to watch them torn to bits- whats the point of remembering stuff like that ?

DISCUSS!! OR I`LL....

God I cant remember now.

Skippy is a "Member" of Toby Fosters facebook and appears on his show as a texter on a regular basis.. Could it be the same idiot ??

Skippy is a "Member" of Toby Fosters facebook and appears on his show as a texter on a regular basis.. Could it be the same idiot ??

Nah skippy was a six foot six bloke who lived in Deerlands close in the 60s and 70s. He used to love beating kids up and I was one of his victims when I was 10. He broke my snotter, chipped one of my teeth and almost broke my arm, all because I shouted `See ya!` to my buddies who were playing in the island in the middle of the close.

Aparrently loud noises set him off.

I bet a few of the old `uns who lived in that area will remember him.

Nah skippy was a six foot six bloke who lived in Deerlands close in the 60s and 70s. He used to love beating kids up and I was one of his victims when I was 10. He broke my snotter, chipped one of my teeth and almost broke my arm, all because I shouted `See ya!` to my buddies who were playing in the island in the middle of the close.

Aparrently loud noises set him off.

I bet a few of the old `uns who lived in that area will remember him.

ohh.dont you remember jowitt family .that lived right at the bottem of the close..

ohh.dont you remember jowitt family .that lived right at the bottem of the close..

Which end? I remember the Myers and the Wrights who moved in after the Myers moved out, I remember Mr Butler and the whites and the Stocks. I lived on Holgate so my garden backed onto the gardens more or less of the people I just mentioned.

I recall the jowitts vaguely... are they the same ones who moved to the top of Adlington...? Somewhere in that area...?

Archived