Lying to combat discrimination - morally acceptable?

Is it acceptable?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable?

• Yes
    • No

Why would anyone lie to combat discrimination?? Why not just tell the truth of who and what you are to make your point.

If they told the truth they would not get the job because of the discrimination.

I'd need to know the circumstances first.

If we're talking about, say, a situation where 10% of the population (of a given area) is of an ethnic minority, but the number employed by that area's council is close to zero, then I'd expect - and the law demands - that the council set up some training opportunities specifically for the minority, so that they can have a fair crack at working for the council as well. If I then find that I'm not allowed to apply for those training opportunities, I am not going to start arguing "discrimination" over a policy which, self-evidently, would be designed to counter discrimination.

I also wouldn't be sure that it would work.

If they told the truth they would not get the job because of the discrimination.

So you lie, to what effect? Prove that you can get a job through lying? How does this combat discrimination?

So you lie, to what effect? Prove that you can get a job through lying? How does this combat discrimination?

He gets sacked and a bad reference making himself unemployable, thereby assisting with the overall objective?

It doesnt does it, it might only get you the job, although loads of people lie to get jobs.

True...but not usually about their ethnicity.

No matter what your grip is lying isn't gonna get you far no matter what. Skin colour could be a dead give-away.

True...but not usually about their ethnicity.

No matter what your grip is lying isn't gonna get you far no matter what. Skin colour could be a dead give-away.

True, I cant see where it would ever come into play.

Archived