Lying to combat discrimination - morally acceptable?

Is it acceptable?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable?

• Yes
    • No

The OP states white majority ethnic..my examples would of course put them in the minority bracket

They might well do...but the op mentioned "Black minority" as ethnic...that's what my response was to.

I enquired a few years ago at the dole centre regarding Free bus/lorry driving lessons.Guess what? Only open to ethnic minorities.

Are you inspired by the title of the thread to lie?

Check again you will find some available here:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/listtraining.aspx?sessionid=63e88ade-a8c7-43ef-b928-7c82188791fc&pid=3&sid=602758&p=1

That article is slightly flawed in linking names to what they think suggest the ethnicity of the applicant.

For example, a couple of black people I work with have very English names that would not highlight them at all as being black; shock news neither of them are called OJ or Snoop. So they're sending out applications with names that they think are "white", but in reality those names won't necessarily = white.

--

Are you inspired by the title of the thread to lie?

Check again you will find some available here:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/listtraining.aspx?sessionid=63e88ade-a8c7-43ef-b928-7c82188791fc&pid=3&sid=602758&p=1

Was you there with me at the time i enquired?

If not....Keep ya trap shut. And stop posting your boring pathetic links.

That article is slightly flawed in linking names to what they think suggest the ethnicity of the applicant.

For example, a couple of black people I work with have very English names that would not highlight them at all as being black; shock news neither of them are called OJ or Snoop. So they're sending out applications with names that they think are "white", but in reality those names won't necessarily = white.

--

If anything your criticism of the report would appear to be that it underestimates racism in employers.

If anything your criticism of the report would appear to be that it underestimates racism in employers.

How do you know the colour of someone skin from a name?

The only way an employer could be "racist" would be if 2 people turned up for an interview who had the same qualifications, the same working ethos, the same general attitude towards life and the same presentation skills and the employer said "we'll go for the white man instead".

The chances of 2 identical people turning up for an interview are extremely remote. It isn't necessarily the qualifications or the experience that means you get a job or not.

How do you know the colour of someone skin from a name?

You can hazard a guess, and you'll be right more than half of the time.

The only way an employer could be "racist" would be if 2 people turned up for an interview who had the same qualifications, the same working ethos, the same general attitude towards life and the same presentation skills and the employer said "we'll go for the white man instead".

That is not the only way, by a long chalk. More often, it shows up by not even bothering to interview people who have a "foreign-sounding" name.

Many employers think that ethnics are not even capable of doing the job.

I don't believe that one bit.

Would you believe that an employer like Noddy would give an Asian a fair crack of the whip, if you can pardon the pun?

The idlest workers in the steel mills and forges were the Asians without a doubt they would stop and moan about the slightest thing and everything was too heavy for them.

Archived