Suppose you had to post under your real name?

The Independant Newpaper has stopped people posting unless they identify themselves either via their facebook or other online vverifiable profile.

Yes, that's what prompted me to start this thread. It's the same with Amazon - if you want to post a review of anything on there you first have to register an account and make a purchase through the site, meaning that anything you post can now be linked by the site back to your real name and address.

I do wonder though how many people on here who spit bile and prejudice at other posters for the simple crime of expressing a contrary opinion would be quite so brave if they were easily indentifiable. Would they have the guts to say such things to people's faces in the real world?

Of course the big downside is that if your real name was all over the forum, any old nutter could find out where you lived, come round and attack you, so for that reason posting under real names probably wouldn't be wise, but all the same it would certainly make people think twice before they post!

My username is my real first name. I would change it but I really can't be bothered, I think I'd have to start another account, wouldn't I?

I don't post anything on here that I wouldn't want anyone I know to read, anyway.

Archived