Drugs are the biggest problem in Britain

Tell me what you like m8, im just sick of seeing all the dirty smackheads walking round here like there untouchable, its getting a little stupid round Gleadless now.

They are.

There's no punishments in place that'd make a change, so why? The problem people/things in Britain have nothing to lose so do what they want.

Watch roadwars or something - depressing!

Wrong on both counts......

I don't hate you and you are not telling the truth.

You are much sweeter than your avatar suggests :)

A news article from a few years back:

Nato happy to ignore explosion in Afghan opium output, says Russia

Nato is turning a blind eye to the flourishing opium trade in Afghanistan to ensure the support of warlords in the struggle to maintain security in the country, Russia's defence minister has claimed.

Sergei Ivanov said Afghanistan was now producing nine times the quantity of drugs it did under the Taliban.

"It is understandable that by allowing drug peddling in Afghanistan, the [Nato] alliance ensures loyalty of warlords on the ground and of some Afghan leaders," he said.

"Nevertheless, the drug flow from Afghanistan is posing a serious threat to the national security of all of the central Asian CIS [confederation of independent states] and Russia. It results from the absence of a truly international approach toward stabilisation in Afghanistan."

Let's hope things have improved over the last few years eh?

You are much sweeter than your avatar suggests :)

A news article from a few years back:

Nato happy to ignore explosion in Afghan opium output, says Russia

Nato is turning a blind eye to the flourishing opium trade in Afghanistan to ensure the support of warlords in the struggle to maintain security in the country, Russia's defence minister has claimed.

Sergei Ivanov said Afghanistan was now producing nine times the quantity of drugs it did under the Taliban.

"It is understandable that by allowing drug peddling in Afghanistan, the [Nato] alliance ensures loyalty of warlords on the ground and of some Afghan leaders," he said.

"Nevertheless, the drug flow from Afghanistan is posing a serious threat to the national security of all of the central Asian CIS [confederation of independent states] and Russia. It results from the absence of a truly international approach toward stabilisation in Afghanistan."

Let's hope things have improved over the last few years eh?

OK.....probably some truth to this.....although the "Nato......says Russia" bit kinda makes me view it more sceptically.

But to say our troops were there protecting the opium trade is a little misleading is it not? Even if they did turn a blind eye they are not actively supporting it, nor is that the reason they are there.

I'd argue that the misuse of alcohol causes far more problems in society as a whole than the misuse of drugs.

Booze is a problem, I know this first hand, but I am not sure it destroys the lives of people or forces them into dreadful things in the way the big "H" does.

I'd argue that the misuse of alcohol causes far more problems in society as a whole than the misuse of drugs.

Id argue that it certainly doesnt, it may have in years gone by but the new plague is crack and heroin (its not that new mind).

Most of the people who are in prison these days are drug addicts, the odd few will stear clear.

Nearly every crime which is committed in Britain in this day and age is related to drugs in one way or another, it makes a refreshing change to see a 50 year old bank robber going for broke these day's.

Id argue that it certainly doesnt, it may have in years gone by but the new plague is crack and heroin (its not that new mind).

Most of the people who are in prison these days are drug addicts, the odd few will stear clear.

Nearly every crime which is committed in Britain in this day and age is related to drugs in one way or another, it makes a refreshing change to see a 50 year old bank robber going for broke these day's.

The problem with alcohol is that it's socially acceptable - folk will joke about going 'out on the lash' and 'getting bladdered' and no one bats an eyelid but excessive use of it results in violence, aggression and trauma both physically and emotionally - visit any A&E department or ask any policeman.

Alcohol destroys families and lives - death from the effects of excess alcohol is very unpleasant.

I think that if you study the stats there are many more people affected by alcohol than drugs - much of it is covered up by families because of shame.

Corker is absolutely correct of course.

Drugs are a scourge on society and the cost of policing them and providing rehabilitation and NHS treatment is far too high. Mainly because drugs are illegal and therefore untaxed yet its a billion pound industry and all the money goes into the hands of criminals. But things will stay the same so long as we have an hysterical media and scared short sighted politicians to afraid to even have a serious sensible dialogue about drugs the problem will get worse and worse

Archived