Drugs are the biggest problem in Britain

It is - but it's a legal one.

It's socially acceptable to overdose on it .

Given the destructive nature of it and the social harm it causes are there really any reasons why it should be legal when other drugs that may not be as harmful are illegal?

The problem with alcohol is that it's socially acceptable - folk will joke about going 'out on the lash' and 'getting bladdered' and no one bats an eyelid but excessive use of it results in violence, aggression and trauma both physically and emotionally - visit any A&E department or ask any policeman.

Alcohol destroys families and lives - death from the effects of excess alcohol is very unpleasant.

I think that if you study the stats there are many more people affected by alcohol than drugs - much of it is covered up by families because of shame.

Drugs destroy families and lives, the effects of excess drugs is very unpleasent.

Families cover it up because of shame.

You left that bit out.;).

I'd argue that the misuse of alcohol causes far more problems in society as a whole than the misuse of drugs.

So probably would most people who work in Probation, prisons, social services, mental health services, homeless and housing services, child protection services and the NHS.

I deal with lots of difficult / horrible social ills in my job, and alcohol is way more of a problem than other drugs.

Drugs destroy families and lives, the effects of excess drugs is very unpleasent.

Families cover it up because of shame.

You left that bit out.;).

There are far more deaths from alcohol than from illegal drugs.

That is a fact.

So probably would most people who work in Probation, prisons, social services, mental health services, homeless and housing services, child protection services and the NHS.

I deal with lots of difficult / horrible social ills in my job, and alcohol is way more of a problem than other drugs.

I also work in the NHS which is why I know this to be true.

Many posting on this thread would do well to take note of this,

Alcohol and tobacco cause more heartache, violence illness and suffering in this country than all other illegal drugs put together.

I have to deal with the effects every day of my working life so am well placed to make such a statement.

Either decriminalise the lot or ban the lot, including alcohol and tobacco. Millions of Brits criminalise themselves every week because they take illegal drugs. Thousands more become criminals because thay have taken legal drugs to excess. It is mad.

Archived