Can't We All Just Get Along?

Wales + Scotland + England = Great Britain

So...

If you're from Wales, you're Welsh and British.

If you're from Scotland, you're Scottish and British.

If you're from England, you're English and British.

I guess your fiance falls into the first category :)

Indeed he does. Thank you for that....he's never explained it to me that way.

Wales + Scotland + England = Great Britain

So...

If you're from Wales, you're Welsh and British.

If you're from Scotland, you're Scottish and British.

If you're from England, you're English and British.

I guess your fiance falls into the first category :)

Noticed that you did not mention Northern ireland ?? are you Catholic by any chance and have your kerbs painted orange green and white ??

Generalising. Aaarrgh *tears hair out*.

--

Sorry about that. Try not to read anymore of my posts or you will be completely bald. :D

**Note: Many women find bald men quite sexy so it might be a good look for you. ;)

Noticed that you did not mention Northern ireland ?? are you Catholic by any chance and have your kerbs painted orange green and white ??

I think you'll find that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, along with England, Scotland and Wales. So why would I mention it when I'm talking about Great Britain?

I think you'll find that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, along with England, Scotland and Wales. So why would I mention it when I'm talking about Great Britain?

Nice one.

I have nothing against Americans, other than they have some beautiful country places. I would not feel as safe anywhere as I do here in good old blighty though. Not saying I wouldn't be as safe - just would not feel as safe. And American roads are so boring and straight. And I am still determined to eat a twinky before I die.

That's about all I have to say about that.

We do our fair share of generalizing here but I think its mostly those that don't know anyone who is British. Its usually something along the lines of the British being "stodgy", having bland food and bad teeth.

I would like to add that I have been to the UK several times, I've even been to Sheffield and met some very lovely people there, some of whom are members of this very forum. I love the Brits. And a nice group of them will soon be my family as I am marrying one (well, technically he's Welsh but he grew up in England).

Funny you should mention that but those i'm involved with over there couldn't belive what fine teeth I have....almost as if it blew the theory out of the water. I was expecting when I first got there, a gleaming set of dentures on everyone...I was badly let down.:hihi: As for food..I have to say American cooking is rather bland...for my taste that is. I cook curry's while I'm out there and i'm the only one that eats them...yet over here "gone in 60 seconds" is apt. I'm probably closer family wise to your side than over here..I love the yanks...I do have real problems with US policy though and I'm happy to be involved with Americans who share the same views. As for "stodgy", I think that's more to do with having the ability to laugh at ourselves..and I mean that in the real sense...unless you meant fat!:D

Ignore most snide comments from Brits or even ex Brits...it's who we are and always will be, ex Brits just don't like to be reminded who they are, they lost the humour...:hihi:

My guess is most Brits experience of the US is Disney, Las Vegas or New York...rather than sitting, eating at home with an American family at thanksgiving or such the like. Ironically we've become more American than the Americans we judge and that judgement is probably based on the crap you export (TV) and to be fair what you export is not who you are. We seem to be pi55ed that you lot have the good life and at the same time the yanks are pi55ed because we have a past....oh! and a Queen and a dead Princess.

So you see...we feed each other. We're very very similar in all respects.

Funny you should mention that but those i'm involved with over there couldn't belive what fine teeth I have....almost as if it blew the theory out of the water. I was expecting when I first got there, a gleaming set of dentures on everyone...I was badly let down.:hihi: As for food..I have to say American cooking is rather bland...for my taste that is. I cook curry's while I'm out there and i'm the only one that eats them...yet over here "gone in 60 seconds" is apt. I'm probably closer family wise to your side than over here..I love the yanks...I do have real problems with US policy though and I'm happy to be involved with Americans who share the same views. As for "stodgy", I think that's more to do with having the ability to laugh at ourselves..and I mean that in the real sense...unless you meant fat!:D

Ignore most snide comments from Brits or even ex Brits...it's who we are and always will be, ex Brits just don't like to be reminded who they are, they lost the humour...:hihi:

My guess is most Brits experience of the US is Disney, Las Vegas or New York...rather than sitting, eating at home with an American family at thanksgiving or such the like. Ironically we've become more American than the Americans we judge and that judgement is probably based on the crap you export (TV) and to be fair what you export is not who you are. We seem to be pi55ed that you lot have the good life and at the same time the yanks are pi55ed because we have a past....oh! and a Queen and a dead Princess.

So you see...we feed each other. We're very very similar in all respects.

I couldn't agree with you more, Alien. That post sums it up nicely.

My wife's father was in the US Army in WW2. Just 19 when he landed on Utah Beach in 1944 after spending a few months in England. According to him a lot of Brits didn't like Americans much. There were the regular comments such as "Why did it take you Yanks so long to get here?" or "Coming over here and stealing our women" this last comment was made to him in a pub in London while he was on a date with an English girl. His answer was that he had no choice... he was sent to England. He never liked the English much after that and said that the French and even the Germans made him and his buddies more welcome after the shooting had died down

The first time my wife to be brought me home to meet him he was quite distant although his wife was very welcoming. Over the years we developed a strong bond and he said "Well some of you Limeys arent so bad after all" We went on fishing trips, played golf and worked on restoring a vintage car together. He died in 2003 and I miss him as much as my wife and his wife do.

My wife's father was in the US Army in WW2. Just 19 when he landed on Utah Beach in 1944 after spending a few months in England. According to him a lot of Brits didn't like Americans much. There were the regular comments such as "Why did it take you Yanks so long to get here?" or "Coming over here and stealing our women" this last comment was made to him in a pub in London while he was on a date with an English girl. His answer was that he had no choice... he was sent to England. He never liked the English much after that and said that the French and even the Germans made him and his buddies more welcome after the shooting had died down

The first time my wife to be brought me home to meet him he was quite distant although his wife was very welcoming. Over the years we developed a strong bond and he said "Well some of you Limeys arent so bad after all" We went on fishing trips, played golf and worked on restoring a vintage car together. He died in 2003 and I miss him as much as my wife and his wife do.

You know, sometimes in life I think we don't give each other much of a chance. We base our opinions on random encounters and they don't really give a full picture. I'm glad to see your father-in-law gave you a chance and he ended up finding a treasure, as did you.

Maybe I am getting all philosophical in my old age but I wish we all just gave each other a chance now and again, though I suppose a forum isn't the most likely of places for that to happen.

Anyway....I love America, Americans, Naturalized Americans, Great Britain, Brits and ex-pats.

Now, I'm off to open another cold beer! Cheers!

I'm just wondering Harleyman...do you have any stories of Brits being warm to the yanks...you do sound so terribly British. :hihi:

There is the other aspect to this....modern UK/USA is breaking down the old "well I fought for this/that country" mentality. Young people are moving on now especially with the advent of the web. It's a slow process but it is happening. I think the old guard either side still have their hangups, and because of that the process will take longer. As much crap as we give our young-uns I really am putting faith in them....they surely can't get it as wrong as those of the past.

Who'd of thought 60yrs ago protesters would have climbed aboard a ship and sailed into overwhelming odds and stuck 2 fingers at a regime? I'm proud to live in an age where youngsters and old alike can think for themselves and actually act out those thoughts rather than toe the party line. For me that's what balls is..Not..yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir. Borders are being stretched thinner and thinner by the day...and one day, well...who knows, we may just all get along.

Archived