Can't We All Just Get Along?

I wish we all could think like children sometimes.

And there you have it in a nutshell. As adults we are conditioned by a zillion influences from our parents, environment, education and of course the media. Frankly, if you watch a lot of American TV you will get the impression all Americans are brain dead but with very nice teeth.

I've worked for enough American companies to know that I prefer them to the miserable Brits. The Americans appreciate people who get things done while the Brits appreciate people who do as they are told.

The first time I went to America I was really surprised how open and welcoming the people were, even in New York which had a reputation for not being friendly. I am going again this year and really looking forward to it. When I go on holiday I don't want to be around the grumpy, miserable, closed minds of the Brits.

And there you have it in a nutshell. As adults we are conditioned by a zillion influences from our parents, environment, education and of course the media. Frankly, if you watch a lot of American TV you will get the impression all Americans are brain dead but with very nice teeth.

I've worked for enough American companies to know that I prefer them to the miserable Brits. The Americans appreciate people who get things done while the Brits appreciate people who do as they are told.

The first time I went to America I was really surprised how open and welcoming the people were, even in New York which had a reputation for not being friendly. I am going again this year and really looking forward to it. When I go on holiday I don't want to be around the grumpy, miserable, closed minds of the Brits.

Then keep away from Disney World in Orlando :D

When ever I have been to the US I have found the yanks to be most welcoming and helpful. I have maybe been enough times to detect a difference between some parts of the US and others.

New Yorkers are very straightforward. To a British ear that can sometimes seem rude. But they are also more "European" than elsewhere. In the midwest the people iI have encountered seem very blinkered in their world view which seems to see no further than the US Border. At the same time perfectly decent pleasant people.

What I do admire, and we in the UK should seek to emulate is the independence of spirit, the "can do" attitude.

Unfortunately some people just don't want to get along, they're after world domination. These people have realised they can't win by military means and have therefore started to breakdown governmental systems from the inside. In the meantime, the build up their numbers within a host country and push for their own terms, even an own state within a state, and having people in prominent positions can help them achieve this. If this fails they turn to terror. It is also there job to lessen the will of the host nation by spreading disinformation and claiming to be, "Not all the same."

Any Americans reading the above should note that "Mecky" is our much loved contributor who hasnt been the same since his lobotomy failed and they changed his medication. We hope to re capture him now that the winter is over and his ankle tag has started working again.

When ever I have been to the US I have found the yanks to be most welcoming and helpful. I have maybe been enough times to detect a difference between some parts of the US and others.

New Yorkers are very straightforward. To a British ear that can sometimes seem rude. But they are also more "European" than elsewhere. In the midwest the people iI have encountered seem very blinkered in their world view which seems to see no further than the US Border. At the same time perfectly decent pleasant people.

What I do admire, and we in the UK should seek to emulate is the independence of spirit, the "can do" attitude.

It's all due to demographics. New Yorkers come from a hodge podge of different races, cultures and religions which has somehow melted together to become that special, unique New York breed.

Mid westerners on the other hand have a common ancestry of Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian. Their large rural environment and small towns created a community spirit that was close knit and religious.

Then there are the southeners who are different from either of those two

It's all due to demographics. New Yorkers come from a hodge podge of different races, cultures and religions which has somehow melted together to become that special, unique New York breed.

Mid westerners on the other hand have a common ancestry of Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian. Their large rural environment and small towns created a community spirit that was close knit and religious.

Then there are the southeners who are different from either of those two

The only time I spent in the south was in the mid 70s when I spent a month just touring round, I found the southerners very hospitable but at the time I was shocked at the rascism.

Archived