Teacher's Disciplinary Body Axed.

Guest sibon

This "saving" doesn't go any way towards reducing the budget deficit though as it is their intention that .

So how can it be a saving if the money is going to be spent elsewhere? :huh:

Well, as I'm sure you appreciate, since education spending is currently ringfenced it means that some of the funding funding doesn't have to be found from somewhere else in the overall budget cuts.

Also, I'm certain that you wouldn't support maintaining an organisation that wasn't fulfilling a useful purpose?

Guest sibon
But that would leave the system open to abuse. There would be nothing to stop the head making an executive decision and deciding to employ someone to fill a vacant post that may be hard to fill.

?

Except for the Safer Recruitment guidelines and the Head's legal responsibility for the welfare of the pupils.

The GTC didn't do this anyway. Go and read through the results of their hearings. There are some very serious cases on there, but many are quite sad examples of how the stress of the job can destroy people. Almost all of the cases could have been dealt with at school level and the information passed on within references.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that there do need to be safeguards in place to weed out bad teachers and those with evil intent. I think that they already exist, without the GTC.

Please tell me you are not seriously citing a fictional character from a poor quality soap opera as evidence that the GTC works?

Quite right. He isn't.

He's citing an example of the risk involved if you do not have a body to strike off teachers. He said nothing about the efficacy of the existing body.

Michael Gove has announced the end of the General Teacher's Council. Link here.

The GTC was a rather bizarrely funded body. Teachers receive an extra £33 in their pay one month and then had it removed by the GTC in the next month, usually by force. I was never certain of their purpose, it seemed to involve them sending me a useless magazine every so often.

If you are reading this Michael Gove :)... Well done. Now get rid of these. You could start by asking them to cancel their annual self-congratulatory "Conference". Last year they hired the Emirates and all the corporate trappings, this year they have hired the NEC. I'm pretty sure that the education of our young people will survive without them. The money saved might come in useful, too.

Great post, well said...:clap:

Michael Gove has announced the end of the General Teacher's Council. Link here.

Good news for the tax payer. It never seemed to serve any purpose apart from employing people in a job that was not needed, to make yet another a layer of regulations and produce the magazine that was 'relauched' about three times :hihi:

Good riddance to the GTC.

I taught in Sheffield very successfully (if some other posts are to be believed - thank you) for over 30 years and never once opened the magazine. They farm out the CRB checks anyway and as to protecting our children they have knowingly allowed teachers with criminal records to continue teaching. At least one of those is in a Sheffield School.

Archived