Where did all the Ladas go?

In the 90's, Ladas were all over the place. About 1999/2000, they disappeared. A guy in a pub told me the Russians had contacted every Lada owner, offered a good price and shipped all the Ladas back to Russia - because they needed them. A tall story I thought so if there are any Lada ex-owners out there, did yours get bought by the Russians or was it scrapped.

In the 90's, Ladas were all over the place. About 1999/2000, they disappeared. A guy in a pub told me the Russians had contacted every Lada owner, offered a good price and shipped all the Ladas back to Russia - because they needed them. A tall story I thought so if there are any Lada ex-owners out there, did yours get bought by the Russians or was it scrapped.

They all returned to their rightfull elements RUST. not russians.. you cad you..;)

According to Wiki:

After Lada (UK) ceased operations in 1997, the remains of the British network of Lada dealers were serviced by Lada (France). Ladas rapidly disappeared from British roads. They had minimal second-hand value in the UK and a re-export market for Russia developed: many UK- and Irish-registered Ladas were sold back to Russia (especially by Russian trawlermen), to be stripped for spare parts or to be sold to Russian buyers who appreciated the cars built to better export specification than cars sold on the Russian market.

I saw a tv programme where Quentin Wilson bought one, drove it to Grimsby docks and sold it on for a slight profit. It was heading back to Russia. So I guess many were repatriated.

I hired one once. It was ok. The ex couldn't get it into first gear one time and didn't have the sense to move the car a bit to free the cogs so she was late for her brother's wedding.

I saw a Lada Niva on the M1 on the Bank holiday weekend, hadn't seen one in years - The one in question looked in very good nick.

When living in New Zealand in 1989 on a house swap, the family that we swapped with had a Lada Riva estate. Proper nasty.

I heard that when they brought out the emisions testing for the MOT, they couldn't get Ladas to pass so they couldn't be run in the UK..

How true this is I don't know, its just what I heard..

Archived