The Guardian's Top 10 Budget Places to Eat

steve69

Heh. It's always funny when they *discover* places, isn't it...like 'the North' :roll:

I think a lot of the suggestions are quite good value for the sort of place each of them are. No the Milestone isn't cheap - but if you're after a fancier meal out, then it's pretty reasonable, I think.

Not sure I agree with Aagrah as an alternative though - especially, classing the food as 'home-cooked'.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't eaten in any of the places listed until yesterday. Me and my girlfriend went to The Wick yesterday. Id been in for a drink before but didnt even realise they did food until i saw the Guardian list.

I had the lamb, which was rolled and stuffed with apricot risotto, with lovely creamy mash and a red wine jus. My girlfriend had Mussels, cooked in cider and cream.

I have to say we were very impressed, and will be returning on a regular basis im sure!

Oh, and from what others are saying about the other places on list not being budget - at least this one is... our bill came to under £20 with drinks!

I hadn't eaten in any of the places listed until yesterday. Me and my girlfriend went to The Wick yesterday. Id been in for a drink before but didnt even realise they did food until i saw the Guardian list.

I had the lamb, which was rolled and stuffed with apricot risotto, with lovely creamy mash and a red wine jus. My girlfriend had Mussels, cooked in cider and cream.

I have to say we were very impressed, and will be returning on a regular basis im sure!

Oh, and from what others are saying about the other places on list not being budget - at least this one is... our bill came to under £20 with drinks!

Restaurant quality food at Pub prices. The Wick has been my fave bar in Sheffield for a long time.

To whose budget does this apply exactly? Here is a better list..

Old House

Fat Cat

Devonshire cat

Milestone

aagrah

Rutland Arms

Henrys

Harlequinn

All sell, great home cooked food and drinks at reasonable prices.

You are quite clearly, like me, a drinker first and eater second :)

Milestone not cheap... Others are good boozers generally. Old House good sunday lunches, dev cat food? really?

• 2 weeks later...
No sorry I meant where on the list is it. I love East and WEst eat there very regularly. In my opinion the best budget food in Sheffield :D

Is it that good Kthebean? I've often driven/walked past but never ventured in, it doesn't look that promising from the exterior!

Is it that good Kthebean? I've often driven/walked past but never ventured in, it doesn't look that promising from the exterior!

Just go in and try it - it won't cost you much! It is a simple cafe, with only a few tables, but it is kept very clean and the staff are very friendly.

To whose budget does this apply exactly? Here is a better list..

Old House

Fat Cat

Devonshire cat

Milestone

aagrah

Rutland Arms

Henrys

Harlequinn

All sell, great home cooked food and drinks at reasonable prices.

You are quite clearly, like me, a drinker first and eater second :)

Milestone not cheap... Others are good boozers generally. Old House good sunday lunches, dev cat food? really?

Many Thanks for your praise Josef! Kungfugerbil - We do pride ourselves on quality ale but also offer quality, fresh, home cooked food, if you haven't tried our food already we can recommend some really tasty food to go with your pint! ;)

Many Thanks for your praise Josef! Kungfugerbil - We do pride ourselves on quality ale but also offer quality, fresh, home cooked food, if you haven't tried our food already we can recommend some really tasty food to go with your pint! ;)

I went in a while ago and my girlfriend had a burger. I was not hungry so i just had a taste of hers. I pomptly went back to the bar to order one for myself as it was delicious. Unfortunatly service had been called, i was gutted. Will be back soon though.

Archived