Help - may have done a very stupid thing and need advice!

well still havent heard from the owner so just presume its a scammer. have looked on google maps and cant see the apartment, but guess it could be a new build.

rang consumer direct for advice, who were helpful and reccommend european consumer direct, rang them and got the rudest guy in the universe, who i shall be complaining about! good job he didnt work for samaritans is all i can say!!!

insurance doesnt cover it, bank wont cover it, so only hope is to go to marbella police and see if they can trace him and contact the spanish bank for me.

in the meantime my wonderful fiance has booked us another apartment, who will pick us up and we will pay cash when we get to the apartment. i will pay him back, not sure if anyone else will afford/want to, but i need a holiday after all this stress! its made me physically ill :(

this time tomo i shall be parking at stansted and getting ready for 1st drink at the airport......!

notes for the future,

1) never give money to a random on the internet

2) use your credit card for purchases between £100 and is it £30000

3) do not use paypal outside ebay (from personal experience doh)

4) do internet searches for the company before paying if you are unsure, its better than nothing

5) Have a good holiday! and give your fiancee a lovely voucher for some loving!!

Just wondered is the ad still live on gumtree could someone email about apartment if it is and see if they reply to them I will do it if you can find ad

Ah-ha, now there's a cunning plan!

Reminds me of the folks who bait the 419 scammers:

http://www.419hell.com/Nigerian_Scam_Baiting/Tips_for_Scammers.html

the ad isnt live anymore, but ive heard back from gumtree now and they have given really good advice on how to go to the police and small claims etc. small chance i could get money back then.

regardless, i am going on holiday tomo for a whole weeeeeeeeeek!

now onto more important worries, like what on earth has my maid of honour got me to wear for tomorrow....... !

the ad isnt live anymore, but ive heard back from gumtree now and they have given really good advice on how to go to the police and small claims etc. small chance i could get money back then.

regardless, i am going on holiday tomo for a whole weeeeeeeeeek!

now onto more important worries, like what on earth has my maid of honour got me to wear for tomorrow....... !

Not wanting to sound negative, but if it is a scam it is unlikely the police will be able to do anything.

I once bought a camera from a free ads site like gumtree but it never arrived & no contact with the seller.

Went to the police, told me to wait 28 days in case in arrived (I knew it wouldn't), then go back in to make a statement.

Although I had the guy's name (turned out to be fake) and bank details, what these scammers do is open a bank and then close it was soon as they have scammed someone so it cannot be traced.

If the scammer is actually overseas the police cannot do anything at all.

Archived