The queen wants a payrise from you

I've never understood this argument either. When tourists go to London they look at Buck Palace and visit the Tower of London etc but they don't sit down for tea with the Queen. They just see the buildings. If her Maj retired and went to live in Bournemouth no-one visiting these sites would be any the wiser.

Guess so, the cost in changing all the constitutional things related to the monarchy would surely cost a fortune though?

We'd then have arguments for a President of some sort which I don't particularly like.

Infact, I think having a Monarch is brilliantly British, and something worth holding onto

I've never understood this argument either. When tourists go to London they look at Buck Palace and visit the Tower of London etc but they don't sit down for tea with the Queen. They just see the buildings. If her Maj retired and went to live in Bournemouth no-one visiting these sites would be any the wiser.

Have you ever been to the changing of the guard? You're lucky if you hear an English accent and there are literally thousands of people there every day waiting for a few fleeting minutes of pomp and ceremony.

Guess so, the cost in changing all the constitutional things related to the monarchy would surely cost a fortune though?

We'd then have arguments for a President of some sort which I don't particularly like.

Infact, I think having a Monarch is brilliantly British, and something worth holding onto

Good post :thumbsup:

Have you ever been to the changing of the guard? You're lucky if you hear an English accent and there are literally thousands of people there every day waiting for a few fleeting minutes of pomp and ceremony.

I'm sure we could keep the fancy dress parades if we wanted.

Why do we all owe the royal family a living?

Forget the income from tourism; just remember that the money the Government gets from the Crown estates (property belonging to the Royal Family directly) vastly outweighs what it gives out in the Civil List. If we revoked the contract that established the Civil List, and instead gave them back their own lands, we'd be worse off.

Effectively, the Royal Family costs us a negative amount of money. They pay in, they don't take out.

Forget the income from tourism; just remember that the money the Government gets from the Crown estates (property belonging to the Royal Family directly) vastly outweighs what it gives out in the Civil List. If we revoked the contract that established the Civil List, and instead gave them back their own lands, we'd be worse off.

Effectively, the Royal Family costs us a negative amount of money. They pay in, they don't take out.

Why would we have to give them back the land? The stole most of it thru wars anyway

Whenever I visit Paris, I make a point of visiting Versailles. It is always busy. I've never seen a monarch there :suspect:

I usually pop to the Place De La Concorde as well, just for balance.

We don't need a monarch to sustain the tourists, just some history.

I entirely agree. People go for the history, they do not need to see some past her sell by date monarch. I would much sooner see The houses of Parliament than the queen.

In the current economic climate the best action that our country could take is to behead the entire royal family in the tower of London. It would save us keeping them...PLUS....tourists from all over the world would come to see wherethey were beheaded. We could even sell lockets of "royal" hair to tourits!

I have hit on a WINNER:love::love::love: here!

you could still have that by charging people to go around the palaces if the queen was in a 2 up 2 down in bournemouth :D, this would probably pay for the upkeep of it all and save money during these difficult times as she wouldn't need it.

Archived