The queen wants a payrise from you

Don't worry, I don't. I just wonder at the double standards. People complain about paying out to chavs cos "they're not owed a living" but the royals are.

Please explain the contradiction

But I do take offense at asking you to explain your PoV and you cant be bothered

why shouldn't she get more money? at 84 years old (i think) i shouldn't fancy being as busy as she is. i don't know how many engagements she did this past year but it's a lot for a woman of her age. a president would cost just as much if not more so why change the system. plus i think she is a great representative for this country. a constitutional monarchy works, why change it? :)

plus wasn't yesterday 57 years since HM's coronation? hell of a long time! :)

I don't mind giving thee old bird a few extra pence on condition she cuts the money given to the lower orders,HarryWills,Beatrice and the rest.Because all i see this lot doing is partying n holidaying and their security costs a fortune.

I've never been much of a monarchist. Could never see why a person could have so much wealth without having to earn it through honest labour but I remember as a kid listening to her coronation on the radio (before we had a TV). I think though that she has carried out her duties with grace and dignity and put up with a lot from her wayward offspring.

I'll be truly sorry at her passing and I think so will the great majority of the British public.

It will also be the end of an era

• 1 month later...

Does anybody (well, those who are moaning about it) actually know what the Civil List is? It's not the Monarch's pocket money.:hihi:

"the Civil List is the sum that covers most expenses associated with the Sovereign performing of his or her state duties, including those for staffing, state visits, public engagements, official entertainment, and upkeep of the Royal Households."

OK, there is a bit of household budget stuff right at the end - but even that bit includes the salaries for a considerable number of people.

The remainder of it includes the salaries for a very large number of people - all those who have anything to do with state duties. If the country decided to stop being a monarchy and become a Republic, most of those expenses would still exist. - The Queen has been doing her job for a while now and allegedly she knows a bit about managing budgets (big and small.) If you handed that problem over to a President, do you think (s)he would do it for less or would the bill be rather larger?

As for the Crown Estate, it is now a statutory corporation and its income goes to the Treasury. It's run by the Crown Estate Commissioners and makes a significant amount of money (somewhere around £280 million a year - more than enough to offset the Civil List.

I heard on the radio, albeit a few years ago, that if you average out how much she gets from us between EVERY single British inhabitant.....it works out as 60p each per year. That's it. Not sure how much it is now, but don't reckon it's much more.

I heard on the radio, albeit a few years ago, that if you average out how much she gets from us between EVERY single British inhabitant.....it works out as 60p each per year. That's it. Not sure how much it is now, but don't reckon it's much more.

dont Start me on the Queen bit i hate the Queen and the other lot i say Scrap them all!!!

The monarchy costs us 41.5 mill a year. Great, im so glad we have a monarchy because they are so useful to us.

What the bjesus does she spend all that money on? POINTLESS THINGS!!!

The monarchy are net contributors to the economy, they don't cost you anything.

Archived