How Posh Are You?

Guest sibon

Judging by that article, I'm almost as far from "posh" as one could get ...although I have been known to lash out up to fifteen notes on a good Logroño.

Like Pattricia, I also have two lavvies, but, to be fair, the downstairs one is outside.

The outside one for the servants presumably ? :D

Need someone to explain to me why some people pronounce scone as skon. Never understood that. You say cone and stone but for some reason certain people say skon - even though it is cone with an 's' at the front.

I find it really annoying as well.

Because we're Scottish? Everyone north of the border says 'skon' to rhyme with gone - as do the majority of others in the UK. Scones originated in Scotland so I reckon we know what they are called! ;) The first time I heard it pronounced to rhyme with phone was when I moved to South Yorkshire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone_(bread))

As to the OP's list, I like Prosecco and humous, but my evening meal is tea if its early and dinner if its late, or eaten out. As a kid, dinner was at lunchtime, but times change!

Because we're Scottish? Everyone north of the border says 'skon' to rhyme with gone - as do the majority of others in the UK. Scones originated in Scotland so I reckon we know what they are called! ;) The first time I heard it pronounced to rhyme with phone was when I moved to South Yorkshire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone_(bread))

No no no... scon just sounds silly, has to be scone. ;)

The outside one for the servants presumably ? :D

Well, yes ...and for the miscellaneous tradespeople that come-a-calling.

Because we're Scottish? Everyone north of the border says 'skon' to rhyme with gone - as do the majority of others in the UK. Scones originated in Scotland so I reckon we know what they are called! ;) The first time I heard it pronounced to rhyme with phone was when I moved to South Yorkshire.

But surely it's the Stone of Scone (not Scon) ...and just to muddy things up, isn't that pronounced "Skoon" ?

Personally, I just say "scon" or "scone" according to the company I'm in (bilingual don'cha know).

Judging by that article, I'm almost as far from "posh" as one could get ...although I have been known to lash out up to fifteen notes on a good Logroño.

Like Pattricia, I also have two lavvies, but, to be fair, the downstairs one is outside.

Ah, no, to be really posh it has to be inside and with one upstairs as well. Just a little point there.:rolleyes:

Archived