How Posh Are You?

Guest sibon

...Personally, I just say "scon" or "scone" according to the company I'm in (bilingual don'cha know).

'Scon', to me, sounds vaguely genteel, in a 'more tea, vicar?' kind of way. I always thought that 'scone' was the commoners' version (being from the arse-end of Sheffield), though someone from down south insisted recently that you ate 'scones' along with your cucumber sandwiches and Earl Grey.

'Scon', to me, sounds vaguely genteel, in a 'more tea, vicar?' kind of way. I always thought that 'scone' was the commoners' version (being from the arse-end of Sheffield), though someone from down south insisted recently that you ate 'scones' along with your cucumber sandwiches and Earl Grey.

I associate "more tea, vicar" with a faux gentility; that is, with folk who are not as refaynd as what you and I are.

Ah, no, to be really posh it has to be inside and with one upstairs as well. Just a little point there.:rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm a teeny-weeny bit posh because at least one of them is both inside and upstairs. (Mind you, I suppose I could "up" my score on the posh'o'meter if I always had Andrex available and not newspaper squares.)

Guest sibon

Being from the arse-end of Rotherham, I happen to agree with your pronunciation. So that's that bit sorted out. :)

I have it on good authority, from someone who is properly posh, that the deciding factor is "supper". If you call the meal that most of us know as "dinner", or "tea" ... "supper", you are proper posh.

...I have it on good authority, from someone who is properly posh, that the deciding factor is "supper". If you call the meal that most of us know as "dinner", or "tea" ... "supper", you are proper posh.

Posh, maybe, but inflexible, and thus, unworldly.

I say Dinner for the middle of the day and Tea in the evening, but only because it confuses and annoys the southerners I work with.

Supper is cheese and crackers while watching the Ten O'Clock news isn't it?

I say Dinner for the middle of the day and Tea in the evening, but only because it confuses and annoys the southerners I work with.

Supper is cheese and crackers while watching the Ten O'Clock news isn't it?

You're definitely common! Posh people have water biscuits with their cheese. :hihi:

Archived