How easy is it to get published?

Is there a handbook or something I can read? Should I approach a publisher with my idea for a book and my layout? How much to get started? I saw a book recently that was not even spell-checked, published like a diary as the author wanted by a very small publisher. I would love to know how to do that and how much I would need to get started. Thanks for your help.

Is there a handbook or something I can read? Should I approach a publisher with my idea for a book and my layout? How much to get started? I saw a book recently that was not even spell-checked, published like a diary as the author wanted by a very small publisher. I would love to know how to do that and how much I would need to get started. Thanks for your help.

easy....self publish it...crack on with your book and then approach a printer not a publisher...they will do all the work for you....i had 500 copies of my first book done at AD Print on Sharrowvale Road....cost me about £4 a copy...sold the book for £9....published in november 2002 and sold them all by christmas....book world then ordered another 1,500 in total and sold them all for me...not as much profit but it did ok....

had it re-issued in 2006 and sold another 1,000.....if i can do it anyone can...

a lad called tony beesley asked me the same question and i told him straight self publish...his book our generation is a great book...and now he's doing two more....go for it...

easy....self publish it...crack on with your book and then approach a printer not a publisher...they will do all the work for you....i had 500 copies of my first book done at AD Print on Sharrowvale Road....cost me about £4 a copy...sold the book for £9....published in november 2002 and sold them all by christmas....book world then ordered another 1,500 in total and sold them all for me...not as much profit but it did ok....

had it re-issued in 2006 and sold another 1,000.....if i can do it anyone can...

a lad called tony beesley asked me the same question and i told him straight self publish...his book our generation is a great book...and now he's doing two more....go for it...

Out of curiosity eastbank,what was the title/content of your book?

I have just printed a book, only a 50 run, for a retired clinical psychologist. Also similar amounts fo a local writers group: they each had between 50 and 100 copies of their work: made a nice set of 8 booklets. Having said that, at the other end of my scale, 1000 books, A4, 350 pages, on how to become a GP. Just call a local printer and chat.

In answer to the question: if you don't know someone influential in the literary industry, it's almost impossible to get published these days.

Even best selling authors find it tricky to get books published outside of their established genre.

Publishers aren't willing to take the risks like they were in the '80s, but, if you're really very good and your writing is polished and compelling, then there's a chance.

In answer to the question: if you don't know someone influential in the literary industry, it's almost impossible to get published these days.

Even best selling authors find it tricky to get books published outside of their established genre.

Publishers aren't willing to take the risks like they were in the '80s, but, if you're really very good and your writing is polished and compelling, then there's a chance.

as eastbank said.you can get it printed yourself and self publish it

Archived