Single parent, what benefits can i claim?

Hi

I'm going to be a single parent aged 25. I'm currently working full time earning £20,000 per year.

Does anyone know how much and what exactly i will be able to claim?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Not until the child is born, I am unsure of what you can earn etc but I think there is an upper limit whereby if you earn over a certain amount you would get no help. But I am not sure of the amounts and what happens when a child is involved- IE if the limit is higher etc.

Good Luck x

you earn more than me! It should be between £300-£400 a month. ON £16.500 with 2 kids it's about £591

You do need to calculate on the reduced income whilst on maternity leave too though.

As far as I understand it, the amount you get on maternity leave is calculated as a percentage of your normal income, but the amount of support you get with tax credits depends on the actual amount that hits your bank account.

As a daddy, of course you have that income throughout your little ones being born, but as a single mum maternity leave means that you have to plan for a big hole in your finances.

It's early days for you yet isn't it titchbeck? You'll have plenty of time to work this out and plan to get through that time financially.

hi, you should get child benefit which is £80 a month and like everyone else says tax credits and child care costs ring tax credits up as soon as you it takes time for your claim to go through anyway and you may get some money while your on maternity leave as well

hope this helps :)

Archived