Single parent, what benefits can i claim?

You do need to calculate on the reduced income whilst on maternity leave too though.

As far as I understand it, the amount you get on maternity leave is calculated as a percentage of your normal income, but the amount of support you get with tax credits depends on the actual amount that hits your bank account.

As a daddy, of course you have that income throughout your little ones being born, but as a single mum maternity leave means that you have to plan for a big hole in your finances.

It's early days for you yet isn't it titchbeck? You'll have plenty of time to work this out and plan to get through that time financially.

It just depends Medusa as they seem to calculate the tax year before for the following year and sometimes it works to your disadvantage - i.e. when you earn less you inform them but it still goes on year's before but then when you are back at work it goes on your wage instantly :rolleyes: But with the op being on her own it will probably be ok :) x

Archived