Cheapest car insurance ??

I agree with tallanddopey - my son has just passed his test and finding an insurance company to allow a male under 21 driver without charging a ridiculous amount is almost impossible.

Friends told me to try X company and Y company because they were good for them, but they weren't great for me at all.

I personally found the comparison sites a waste of time - Aviva were the best for us, and we got the price down further by taking out breakdown cover with them. £60 for breakdown, got the insurance premium down by over £200 (dual policy) so although Aviva might not be best for you, when shopping around, ask the other companies if they do offer a dual policy discount.

I suppose if we could persuade people not to claim at all. - By having fewer accidents.

And if we could persuade people to claim only that which they really need to claim for -

Then the insurance companies would have to pay out less and they would be able to charge lower premiums.

Insurance companies are in business to make money. They make money if the premiums they charge are more than (The amount they have to pay out + the cost of running the company.)

Young drivers/riders have a disproportionately large number of accidents. I (for one) am not interested in paying for their accidents. (Most of) the insurance companies are aware that if they try to transfer the risk of young drivers to lower-risk drivers (by shifting the premium burden on to those who don't have the accidents) then they will lose large numbers of 'safe' drivers. - Drivers who have, in many cases, 30 or more years of accident-free driving.

My first car was an Austin A35. - An impressively powerful monster with a 948cc engine. 0-60 on the same day! (But crappy brakes, no seatbelts and little else to recommend it.) I followed that with a 948cc minivan. - Again, hardly impressive performance.

It was all I could afford to insure.

Andy said: '1.6 16 valve' - How would the premium for that compare with the premium for a 1.1?

Did the premium include the discount you can get by taking (and passing) advanced driving courses?

Archived