England Flags - patriotic or chavvy?

Patriotic or Chavvy?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Patriotic or Chavvy?

• Patriotic
    • Chavvy

You could fly the flags of the patron saints of Aragon, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Ljubljana, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, and Barcelona as well.

That would be 'de trop':D

Not at all!

As I've already said, I'm not interested in football ... but an 'interest in football' has nothing to do with it!

There are a lot of people flying English flags!

That may be because (a) they are English, (b) they support England in the World Cup © Either or neither.

Does it matter?

Surely the important thing is that there are a bunch of people determined to have a good time? (and I suspect they will, irrespective of the scores in the various games.)

Just a bunch of English people having fun.

'Chavs' have nothing to do with it.

The Queen has a flag on her house (not an England flag I know) and considering she owns more bling than anyone, they must be chavvy. Great I say, they ought to be compulsory!

When she's there and it's a proper flag, not just some piece of crap that is put out every 4 years and not even on a proper flag pole at that. Worst still, those stupid flags that people that people lock in the windows of their cars. It's about people grew up and did things properly instead of just being tacky.

Ive read it three times BF :confused: but am gonna have to look at it a little more I think :lol:

I think I've got it..I guess I've found myself wondering whether this year's flag flutterers are only displaying the flag as an act of defiance against the imaginary people they believe say they shouldn't be flying the flag because it's offensive..does that make any more sense? :suspect:

I think this is an example of the type of sentiment I was talking about, jongo:

well you will be glad to know I was just going to have a simple St georges cross flying from our house but seeing as some cretins dont like it I changed it to one with ENGLAND in great big **** off capital letters across it.

I think I've got it..I guess I've found myself wondering whether this year's flag flutterers are only displaying the flag as an act of defiance against the imaginary people they believe say they shouldn't be flying the flag because it's offensive..does that make any more sense? :suspect:
give over bf you knew that all along you just waiting for an excuse to say it :hihi:.

I think I've got it..I guess I've found myself wondering whether this year's flag flutterers are only displaying the flag as an act of defiance against the imaginary people they believe say they shouldn't be flying the flag because it's offensive..does that make any more sense?
They're hardly imaginary ... this thread is full of them. :cool:

They could merely say, I find them a distraction or I don't want to draw attention to myself, but no, it has to be a question of taste or not, of style or not, of being chavvy or not. It's all so abhorrently petty and judgmental :rolleyes:

give over bf you knew that all along you just waiting for an excuse to say it :hihi:.

Well I find your statement quite ironic ricgem, since there's a (proper) England flag flying from my son's bedroom window ;)

They're imaginary insofar as they are not people IanG will encounter who will ask him to remove his flag from his car/premises because they find it offensive.

The detractors here (I'm not one of them btw) are simply stating an opinion in most cases, which they're entitled to do, just as they might express an opinion about people who have tattoos or wear Hermes scarves, but Ive never seen anyone take to either of those because someone expressed a negative view about them.

They could merely say, I find them a distraction or I don't want to draw attention to myself, but no, it has to be a question of taste or not, of style or not, of being chavvy or not. It's all so abhorrently petty and judgmental :rolleyes:

Isn't this forum full of such opinions on a wide range of issues? By the same token, many car flag fliers have seized this opportunity to demonstrate some faux patriotism based on their belief that immigrants find the flag offensive, clearly that's ridiculous.

Sorry but have you been on this forum before?! You say that like you're surprised. People are petty and judgemental about all sorts of things

people in supermarkets in pyjamas

what paper someone reads

women who drink

what word someone uses to describe 'prostitute'

someone who decides to breed their staffy (somewhat tongue in cheek addition to the list)

Being petty and judgemental about crappy plastic flags doesn't mean you hate your country any more than being petty and judgemental about someone wearing crocs means you hate your feet.

The Queen has a flag on her house (not an England flag I know) and considering she owns more bling than anyone, they must be chavvy.

Plus she doesn't work and relies on our handouts and has a dysfunctional family that wouldn't be out of place on Jeremy Kyle!

Being petty and judgemental about crappy plastic flags doesn't mean you hate your country
Ahhh, this is where I've been misled, I didn't think they were implying hatred of the country, just being judgmental about the people who choose to display one and trying to make them feel wanting in some way. "Chav" is one of those loaded words, and "taste" and "style" likewise.

Just wait, it'll soon be fairylights in the frame again ... it won't be long until December :)

Archived