England Flags - patriotic or chavvy?

Patriotic or Chavvy?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Patriotic or Chavvy?

• Patriotic
    • Chavvy

the hanging of christmas lights on the outside of ones home is the ultimate chav statement .

My goodness let me take time out to hang my head in abject shame. Next Christmas I wont bother to put them up and tell the rest of ths street to do the same

No doubt they'll all ask me if I've finally succumbed to the pestilent Jehovas Witnesses and shake their heads in pity :hihi:

Good point - i am starting to see it as neither chavvy or patriotic, because it is used in the context of england football only, not just england. (The car flags i mean)

I kind of view it as the same as having an england football shirt fluttering out of their car.

That is a good point actually. Many of we football fans who are going to away matches think nothing of adorning cars and coaches with our colours, flags and scarves a-fluttering down the M1, or to wherever else.

I'll tell you what I think the problem is. People never used the St George's Cross for England some 25 years ago. I don't remember a proliferation of St George's Crosses during the 1990 World Cup. The Union Flag? A different matter.

England fans only seemed to use the English flag more about 1996, when the European Championships were held here. There were a load in 1998 in the World Cup, but that's only twelve years ago.

I think the problem people have is that the use of the flag exploded, but it also doesn't help matters when loads of them also have some form of advertising on them rather than being a true representation of the standard.

I wouldn't want to stop them. I like patriotism but it seems that soem people can only be patriotic when our national football side are in a major tornament.

I was thinking this earlier today as i walked with my sister through wendover i am hugely proud of my country and love to see england flags about and union flags but it bothers me that it doesn't appear to be about loving their country it seems more like they love football and the england team.

When i see an england flag football doesn't usually get any space in my head it's filled with the beauty and wonder of our land and it's history.

We drove through Chesterfield yesterday and one street (a coronation street type street .. terraced houses either side all the way down), had bunting across the street all the way down. I must admit, it looked really eye catching and I bet they are going to have numerous parties down that street during the next 4 weeks.

I wouldn't put one up myself, but each to their own and all that ..

Archived