Is Qat(Khat) Illegal?

it's openly sold in Somali shops in Sheffield.

Yep its only chewed in certain parts of Ethiopia , Somalia and Yemen and these are the ethnic groups that chew Qat, in fact i think it is only grown in Ethiopia and Yeman.

I dont think there has been any tests to determine the long lasting side affects from chewing it.

However it is illegal in some countries.

it's openly sold in Somali shops in Sheffield.

Yeah, there was a fascinating documentary made by Al Jazeera called Khat Barons of Sheffield about the trade amongst Yemenis here. It's well worth a watch and it's on Youtube -

Am I right in saying its illegal to pick, prepare or cook magic mushrooms but it is legal to eat them raw and unpicked? So if you graze them like truffles them you're fine

Yep, thats correct....even drying them makes them illegal...but if you eat them raw its fine :huh:

Isn't it a A class drug or am I thinking of another drug.

No Cathinone is a Class C drug, however it is the active ingredient in the Qat plant.

Cathinone remains class C.

Recently some derivatives of cathinone were made illegal and classified class B. Some that can be found in the Qat plant.

So Qat now contains a mixture of class B and class C drugs although it remains illegal.

:hihi::confused::hihi:

It's like the ABC triple class trip wine dilemma. A strong alcoholic drink initially brewed with fruit, cannabis and magic mushrooms when cannabis was class C, mushrooms legal, and drunk when cannabis was class B and mushrooms class A.

A legal drink? Considering cannabis is effectively permitted and mushrooms were legal when the drink was brewed.

Or are you guilty of producing class ABC, A and B, A and C, B or C drugs?

Maybe even each of the above, for the crime committed at the point of time the law stood before changing.

Maybe you should be charged for D&D if you have more than 3-4 units of the drink :hihi:

Like a tree falling in a forest, does it really matter if nobody knows you brewed and drank it if you did so in private without ill effect...

It is legal. However it contains an illegal substance.

If it contains an illegal substance then how can it be legal? :hihi:

Humans contain illegal substances.

In fact most animals and plants do. Mostly in very small amounts, but some illegal substances are actually pretty universal in nature.

No Cathinone is a Class C drug, however it is the active ingredient in the Qat plant.

Cathinone remains class C.

Recently some derivatives of cathinone were made illegal and classified class B. Some that can be found in the Qat plant.

So Qat now contains a mixture of class B and class C drugs although it remains illegal.

:hihi::confused::hihi:

It's like the ABC triple class trip wine dilemma. A strong alcoholic drink initially brewed with fruit, cannabis and magic mushrooms when cannabis was class C, mushrooms legal, and drunk when cannabis was class B and mushrooms class A.

A legal drink? Considering cannabis is effectively permitted and mushrooms were legal when the drink was brewed.

Or are you guilty of producing class ABC, A and B, A and C, B or C drugs?

Maybe even each of the above, for the crime committed at the point of time the law stood before changing.

Maybe you should be charged for D&D if you have more than 3-4 units of the drink :hihi:

Like a tree falling in a forest, does it really matter if nobody knows you brewed and drank it if you did so in private without ill effect...

'Nice' - (in the legal or literal sense of the word) argument.

What's the point of the question?

Does Qat improve behaviour? Do people on Qat behave well; do they contribute to society?

I haven't a clue. I have friends who live in places where Qat is used commonly and from what I've heard from them, it's not really a good idea ... YMMV.

I understand that you have a significant Somali community in Sheffield and I've heard that the leaders of that community are not in favour of use of the drug. They know about it, why not listen to them? - If you have a pool of experience and expertise and you ignore it, more fool you.

Why would you want to take Qat?

I've been poorly recently and I've been taking some really impressive meds. Meds which scare the sh*t out of me (though some of them seem to have the opposite effect, but we won't go into that here ;))

Have you seen those signs on buildings which say: "This stone was laid by the Mayor of [wherever]?" Take enough Codeine and you'll know exactly how he felt!

'Hillbilly Heroin' - I took it as an analgesic. - Dunno about the 'anal' bit (I swallowed it) it killed the pain ... or rather it left the pain where it was and sent me to another planet where there was no pain.

Apparently, people abuse that drug! (It upset me. - I'm [somewhat] obsessive/compulsive and I don't like being 'out of control'.) I can't understand why anybody would want to have 'hisser' mind taken over by a drug.

I can't imagine why anybody would take drugs for fun.

Think about it.

You live your life. You feel normal. Somebody gives you a 'trial shot' of a drug - for free. It makes you feel good.

Next day maybe you feel like yesterday (or maybe you don't feel quite as good.)

Your 'friend' gives you another 'freebie'. You feel almost a good as yesterday.

Next day, you feel like ****. Your friend sells you a shot discounted.

Next day, you feel worse. He sells you another shot at full price.

Well, if it's not illegal and we can make a few bob, why not destroy the neighborhood? ... and the people in it?

Up to you, really.

Can Qat dealers fly?

Am I right in saying its illegal to pick, prepare or cook magic mushrooms but it is legal to eat them raw and unpicked? So if you graze them like truffles them you're fine

No, it's illegal to dry them or to possess dried mushrooms.

You MAY possess them fresh.

You MAY consume them.

You may NOT dry them

You may NOT possess them dried.

You are (of course)(I assume) an expert on mushrooms?

Watch what you eat.

No, it's illegal to dry them or to possess dried mushrooms.

You MAY possess them fresh.

You MAY consume them.

You may NOT dry them

You may NOT possess them dried.

You are (of course)(I assume) an expert on mushrooms?

Watch what you eat.

Possesion/consumption was made illegal as of 2005.

Class A they are now. Not that it really matters to anyone.

Archived