Best chippy in Scarborough!!

There used to be a place opposite the harbour called Salts. Not sure if it`s still there though. Excellent fish and chips. On a different note, my dad always called fish a whales eyelash and what he called chips isn`t printable these days because of the PC brigade

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the one down below the castle on the harbour, they do a great cuppa to in a proper mug...Winking Willy's aren't too bad either opposite the harbour...not a fan f Harry Ramsdens to be honest and one to avoid is just up the road opposite the harbour on the right hand side heading towards town....plain awful

• 3 years later...

Sorry that I am resurrecting an old thread, but this one was already here, and relevant to my question, so, here goes:-

I am having a day trip to Scarborough in a few days.

I want to know, firstly, which Chippies (if any) do proper Sheffield fishcakes, (Rather than Rissoles :gag: )

Secondly, I want to know if anyone knows whether they fry their chips, and their fish and their meat products in seperate vats, (some veggies, like myself, don't like chips that have been fried in the same oil as the meat products. it goes against the grain with me)

hope folk can help.

Thanks in advance.

Plain Talker, proper chippies use dripping. Isn't fish a type of meat? You might be able to find some fish & chip shop/restaurant that doesn't do deep fried sausages & burgers, etc, maybe uses pure veg oil too. No animal was killed so a bit of animal grease could possibly come into contact with your fish though (except the fish of course), it's just a by-product.

Good news is they're 'Yorkshire' fishcakes & are available in some other parts of Yorkshire too, not just Sheffield, so you might get them in Scarborough, I'm not sure.

thanks for the help, anywebsite.

;) Proper chippies might use dripping, but proper veggies eat chips fried in vegetable oil! ;) lol.

No, what it was is that I'm going to Scarborough with a friend, and I wanted to introduce that friend to the wonder of the Sheffield fishcake, you see.

For myself, I am looking for a chippy that does like the two-steps and green-steps in S11, which cook chips separately from the fish, and the meat products separately again.

when it comes to food for my friend, Fish is halal, provided it's cooked separately from the meat products. (if meat is cooked in he same oil as the fish, it contaminates the fish.)

Agree with the one down below the castle on the harbour, they do a great cuppa to in a proper mug...Winking Willy's aren't too bad either opposite the harbour...not a fan f Harry Ramsdens to be honest and one to avoid is just up the road opposite the harbour on the right hand side heading towards town....plain awful

We went to winking willies last week & it was terrible. 12 of us ate there & most of us agreed. To top it off, us sheffielders love curry & they know this. £2 for a portion (even on a kid's meal although they can have peas or beans in with the price of the meal):loopy:

There is a place that does them in Scarborough (well at least did the last time I was there in May). Although it does have a couple of steps to get into. (down). I think it's the side road next to Princess Café. (darn I can't remember the name of the place).

Archived