Twin girls injured in suspected fox attack

Rather than spout rubbish from the hunting lobby, perhaps someone could check the facts:-

The RCVS are certainly not in favour of fox hunting, under any circumstances whatsoever. If anyone thinks they are then they should post a document to that effect. What is actually happening is that people are choosing to take either poll data, and misinterpret it, or take the views of minority organisations.

Here, for example, is the quote from the torygraph, which refers to a poll of vets:-

When a smaller sample of 778 vets was asked if foxes would suffer more should hunting be banned and alternative methods of control used, 38 per cent said that they would, while 32 per cent disagreed and 31 per cent were unsure.

Asked what they felt would happen if there was a ban on hunting and alternative methods of fox control were used, 38 per cent said that the suffering of foxes would increase. However, 32 per cent said that it would diminish.

So we have a very close poll in essence, at little under half supporting a total ban. Yet again, very far from your mass statement by RCVS.

Supportfoxhunting.co.uk have trouble with their statistics aswell.

They say: Hunting is cruel

Rubbish.

“Hunting by hounds is the most natural and humane way of controlling the population of all four quarry species - fox, deer, hare and mink - in the countryside.” Statement supported by over 500 members of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

Or 55% of the people poled, as i have pointed out. A true landslide of opinion.

Remind me how humane it is the next time you are run ragged and then torn apart by a pack of dogs. I am sure the fox is quite happy for this to be done as it must be a really painless and quick death.
Those i have killed with my lurchers have been dispatched after a very short chase and a throat hold and a powerfull shake from a 70lb lurcher the fox is killed very quickly.Also a lot are dug down to in their earths with the aid of terriers and shot wen located all these methods are a lot better than poison or trapping imho.

Also a lot are dug down to in their earths with the aid of terriers and shot wen located

How is the 'terrier work' better? It's a brutal fight for their life, outnumbered and against stronger opponents. It is not "better" in any way shape or form.

Look on the hounds as domesticated wolves, it saves time.

I think you've misunderstood my position, retep.

I've no problem with culling foxes humanely, I've no problem with the hounds-my issue is with the people who kill foxes in this way purely for fun.

If the dogs are out there and they come upon a fox and chase it and kill it then that's the way of things. For a mob of people to get on horses and take pleasure in running an animal into the ground knowing that it will be ripped to pieces just for the sport of it - that is wrong.

So its ok for foxy to rip up a couple of kids(allegedly) or a rabbit or rat, but not ok to get ripped up himself.

Whats the difference between a mob of people chasing one and the vets who have trapped one in the garden of the attack and put it down, did they offer it counselling before injecting it, or did it just hold out a paw.

So its ok for foxy to rip up a couple of kids(allegedly) or a rabbit or rat, but not ok to get ripped up himself.

Whats the difference between a mob of people chasing one and the vets who have trapped one in the garden of the attack and put it down, did they offer it counselling before injecting it, or did it just hold out a paw.

The vets presumably didn't get any excitement from it. As opposed to the mob on horseback who love it.

Archived