Twin girls injured in suspected fox attack

I said that I did not in any way wish to cast aspertion and my heart felt sympathy goes to the children and their parents but we've all seen the tearfull plee's of the parents of missing childen on so many occasions when they themselves have been in some way responsible.

When did that happen?

What parents turned out to be guilty?

The do make nice biscuits though:).

Hunting foxes was allowed in 2002. How do you think this incident would have been avoided if there was no hunting ban in place (there was no hunting ban in 2002 - when the last attack took place):confused:

There was a case a few years ago when a hunt chased a fox through a primary school (out Warncliffe way) a few minutes before morning break.

Do the people who hunt/want to hunt the foxes actually eat the fox?

No?

Another invalid comparison by our backward peter.

You like comparing apples & oranges, don't you.

The hounds are domesticated animals, whereas the fox is a wild animal.

Are you trying to say that hounds eat with a knife and fork,

could you show me where i said the hunters eat the fox,

another brilliant post trying to score points:rolleyes:

I've just telephoned the police.

Unfortunately I only got the press office but they might get the investigation team to contact me.

I said that I did not in any way wish to cast aspertion and my heart felt sympathy goes to the children and their parents but we've all seen the tearfull plee's of the parents of missing childen on so many occasions when they themselves have been in some way responsible.

I also reitterated my concern that the story is causing widespread 'panic' by parents, a lot of it caused by fear of the unknown and the lack of information. In the midlands we are getting radio 'phone-ins about "are you worried about fox attacks" etc.

I was told that the officer who saw the fox enter the house took a photo of it on his mobile phone but she didn't know where it was.

I suggested that there is not enough evidence being given out by the media to establish the story as fact. It seems very much speculation and I suggested that she 'googled' the story where she would find dozens of forums talking about the event with the majority of contributors dissbelieving the theory and wanting to know more.

I asked about the preservation of the 'crime scene' and the collection of forensic evidence; she did not know.

So, watch this space......

With respect it is not the polices job to calm public hysteria, stop radio phone ins, google the news to find out how it is being reported. I think it would be a waste of police time and money for the investigating team to contact you.

I've just had this email reply from the Hackney police...

Many thanks for your email. All the points you raise were considered by the investigating team and the conclusion is that these injuries are consistent with the accounts given by the witnesses. I would also point out that further to a fox being caught in the garden, whilst officers were attending the incident, a fox tried to aggressively re-enter the property

Sorry but I'm still not happy.

With respect it is not the polices job to calm public hysteria, stop radio phone ins, google the news to find out how it is being reported. I think it would be a waste of police time and money for the investigating team to contact you.

I have to agree with you Kthebean. I still find it unprofessional that the police have seemingly told a stranger via email that their enquiries are already concluded after only a few days, as per the first quote above.

Many thanks for your email. All the points you raise were considered by the investigating team and the conclusion is that these injuries are consistent with the accounts given by the witnesses. I would also point out that further to a fox being caught in the garden, whilst officers were attending the incident, a fox tried to aggressively re-enter the property

I hope this is supposed to be sarcastic!

I love foxes me. Any traps I find in our local woods will be reduced to scrap and matchwood in no short order.

Even if (and I still find incredible) a fox was responsible, I don't see that as any justification for hunting down, culling or killing foxes. Dozens of people are attacked by elephants and lions in Africa, but would you say they should all be shot? Or tigers? Or bears? No. I feel sorry for the children and their families, if the story is true, but one should not 'blame' the fox, as though it somehow planned the attack.

Foxes are opportunistic hunters and scavengers and act to a large extent on instinct, as does any predator (and humans, for that matter - difference being that we have the capability - often not used - of over-riding our instincts with reason). But I don't believe for one minute that a fox would see a human, even a young one, as potential food. They recognise their food or prey by characteristic smells or characteristic movements, and human children aren't going to fit the bill on any count.

I think it's more likely the fox had got into the house, couldn't find its way out and jumped on the kids bed aiming for the light from the window. Fox can't get out, kids wake up, get scared, fox and kids both panic and feed each other's panic, fox reacts defensively and fights what it sees as a threat. Anyone who's ever had a strange cat cornered in their house will know the panic and sometimes frantic aggression they display as they try to escape. I expect a fox, being so nervous anyway, would be just the same.

As for comparing them to rats, I should point out that all wild mammals carry communicable diseases, and that we all have rats in our gardens and yards, even if we never see them.

Leave the foxes alone.

a good point a agree un less it was rabid i think it must have paniked like you said and made a mistake to save its self its not its falt it was scared and why was the door open anyway that could have been a peado bet they never leave a door open again silly sods

Why not ? Are you suggesting that both the parents and the police are lying ??

Perhaps you had better email the hospitals dealing with these children's injuries - just for you peace of mind. :rolleyes:

Archived