Twin girls injured in suspected fox attack

Cute and cuddly or vicious and nasty, their demeanor should have no bearing on how they are killed.

Personally Im not too bothered about the fox, my issue is with people who derive pleasure from executing it, they dont even get a decent meal out of it.

When a specific breed of dog attacks a child the local hunt isnt comandeered to catch the wayward beast, nor is the parent of the child allowed to beat it to death with a blunt stick, it's dispatched humanely.

I fully agree with boyfriday.

I also find these stories more than a little fishy - too many unexplained and hard to believe details. I see foxes regularly and you couldn't find a more timid animal.

More likely to be the hunting mob at the back of this - they'll do anything to get fox hunting back on the agenda.

As for vermin - that's just an excuse for when people want to indulge their own personal pleasures. Man is the only life form on earth to wreak large scale havoc on this planet.

Visit the casualty unit at any hospital on Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights (when the yobbo's are having their usual fun) and see how many of the injuries were caused by foxes.

... Man is the only life form on earth to wreak large scale havoc on this planet.

Please publish transcripts of your interviews with:

HIV

HINI (1918 did a pretty good job)

and H3N2.

If you feel I'm favouring common viruses unfairly, I'd appreciate your comments on Yersis Pestis Rabies, Hantavirus and Ebola.

You're obviously too young to remember smallpox or the threat of spending the remainder of your life in an Iron Lung.

Please publish transcripts of your interviews with:

HIV

HINI (1918 did a pretty good job)

and H3N2.

If you feel I'm favouring common viruses unfairly, I'd appreciate your comments on Yersis Pestis Rabies, Hantavirus and Ebola.

You're obviously too young to remember smallpox or the threat of spending the remainder of your life in an Iron Lung.

You know full well what I meant in my post so I will treat yours with the contempt it deserves.

My younger days were a long long time ago so I remember smallpox & the iron lung well - unfortunately, your knowledge and admiration of various virus forms has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of this thread - foxes, so bye bye!

I'll apologise ... because I owe you an apology, Organgrinder. - I should've read the thread through in its entirety before I posted.

I'm not a 'townie' - I've lived in the countryside (or even further out) for most of my life. I apologise for treating you as a 'townie'.

Urban foxes are now ubiquitous, but they're not 'natural'. Perhaps the townies will have to learn how to deal with foxes. Rural people have known how to do that for aeons.

Rural foxes and Urban foxes may be related, but I'm not aware of any link between the numbers of the two separate groups. - Is there any evidence to suggest that the prohibition of hunting rural foxes has had any effect on the numbers of urban foxes?

I wouldn't want to see fox-hunting reintroduced (I'd look silly on a horse, though few would see that ... I doubt I'd stay on for more than a few seconds.)

I 'knew' (not in the biblical sense ;)) a vixen in 1995. I released her from a snare and although she wouldn't come nearer than about 4 ft, we did meet up fairly frequently. There's nothing wrong with foxes, but they're wild animals and they are dangerous.

Foxes don't (ordinarily) eat children, because foxes don't come into contact with children.

Foxes do not attack children. - They're not pack animals and children are far too dangerous for a single fox to attack.

What were 9 month old babies doing anywhere at 10 pm that would allow them to be attacked by anything other than a bed bug?

Foxes don't go after people. And even if they did suddenly go mad, how could they attack and harm two babies if the parents were nearby to stop it? Of course, if the parents were on hand, any normal fox wouldn't come near...

What a bizarre story.

More details would be nice.

Sleeping in their cot, allegedly the fox entered the house through french windows and went upstairs where it mauled the girls.

Seems a bit odd to go to all that trouble too maul the kids, it's not as though food is scare at this time of year.

This is the first fox attack on people that I've ever heard of though I've heard of loads of attacks by dogs and not just on babies.

I fully agree with boyfriday.

I also find these stories more than a little fishy - too many unexplained and hard to believe details.

What’s hard to believe when the father who saved the twins said it was a fox and local residents say there is a growing problem with foxes that are not afraid of humans in the area. Are you saying the father is lying?

This is not the first case of a fox attacking a child though. BBC news reported of a similar case back in 2002. Now with the banning of the only effective method of controlling fox numbers in the wild, numbers of foxes around the country and especially in towns will rise.

I also find these stories more than a little fishy - too many unexplained and hard to believe details. I see foxes regularly and you couldn't find a more timid animal.

Sleeping in their cot, allegedly the fox entered the house through french windows and went upstairs where it mauled the girls.

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more to this story than meets the eye.

What’s hard to believe when the father who saved the twins said it was a fox and local residents say there is a growing problem with foxes that are not afraid of humans in the area. Are you saying the father is lying?
Whether it's true or not, it's nonetheless 'hard to believe', since our encounters with foxes are rare-they usually scarper when they come across us.

This is not the first case of a fox attacking a child though. BBC news reported of a similar case back in 2002.

So it's hardly a problem of epidemic proportions?

Now with the banning of the only effective method of controlling fox numbers in the wild, numbers of foxes around the country and especially in towns will rise.

Now that would be a sight, liveried huntsmen hurdling traffic bollards in Southey Green in pursuit of an urban fox. Do you believe that would address the increasing fox population serapis?

Archived