£70bn : the annual interest on UK debt in 2015

That doesn't answer the question though.

Do you think that we should have entire cities, nay entire states that are failing or 5 PM's in 3 years?

Saying that it is 'worse over there' is a bizarre argument, though it didn't stop Labour from using it.

If our own critical problems aren't brought under control fast then we too can be just like them. If the City (despite all its issues) wasn't the largest wealth generator in the country we'd already be there. The pariah is what's keeping us afloat right now, not anything that Labour did. The Germans and French are changing the EU system so that each nation has to have its budgets checked by the others - THAT is how bad it is out there. Don't go holding them up as models of probity.

If the City (despite all its issues) wasn't the largest wealth generator in the country we'd already be there. The pariah is what's keeping us afloat right now, not anything that Labour did.

Hmmm. I'm sure I don't come from the same part of the political spectrum as yourself Tony, but do agree on this point. However ...

Our faith in the fast buck has been mis-placed. There's a lot of wealth being generated in the city, but little that's benefiting the country as a whole. We need real long-term investment in a balanced economy, never again blind faith in wealth generation from stock market speculation.

Share ownership is a strange concept when the owners of the shares do not view themselves as investing in a company, but gambling on the movement of the share price.

Labour abdicated their responsibility to regulate the markets when the figures looked good. Now it's all gone t*ts up will anything change, or do we just carry on as if nothing had happened?

Saying that it is 'worse over there' is a bizarre argument, though it didn't stop Labour from using it.

Right from then start the word I used was prospective something that seems to have gone out of the window, the link I used was to but things in to prospective rather than “as a model of probity”

spinac, you make some very cogent points there.

Malky, perhaps we are at cross purposes or perhaps I didn't understand you correctly. I'm quite clear that we should not use the different situations of other nations as a direct comparator but what exactly are you trying to say about the position of other nations?

Hmmm. I'm sure I don't come from the same part of the political spectrum as yourself Tony, but do agree on this point. However ...

Our faith in the fast buck has been mis-placed. There's a lot of wealth being generated in the city, but little that's benefiting the country as a whole. We need real long-term investment in a balanced economy, never again blind faith in wealth generation from stock market speculation.

Share ownership is a strange concept when the owners of the shares do not view themselves as investing in a company, but gambling on the movement of the share price.

Labour abdicated their responsibility to regulate the markets when the figures looked good. Now it's all gone t*ts up will anything change, or do we just carry on as if nothing had happened?

The largest share gamblers are the fund managers who manage billions on behalf of lots of little people who's pensions are tied up in stock market performance,so I cannot see much change in market speculation.Check the record price of gold today,that's where the speculative money is now going,people worldwide are fast loosing faith in fiat money!

Tony- what exactly are you trying to say about the position of other nations?

The powers that be would have people think that what goes off here is somehow unique and all Browns fault when obviously its a worldwide problem I posted the link to but our problems into prospective when compared to other countries

We are all aware of the problems in Greece, Spain and Portugal but the reason I highlighted France and Germany was because I thought they had economies closer related to ours.

I expected America to be high on the list but was surprised about Japan and even more surprised that the oil rich counties of the Middle East had any kind of national debt at all.

Archived