Surname changing

You can call her whatever you want, except on her school reports, passport and hospital records she would still have to use the name on her birth certificate.

If you want to do this legally then it will be done by deed poll.

We changed my son's name by deed poll when he was three giving him a double-barreled surname keeping the name on his birth certificate and adding my married surname on the end. However at school he was known by my married surname as the school accepted 'known as' names until he started studying for his GCSEs. For hospital records and passport he uses his double barreled name. To make it more interesting my son's bank accounts are in his doubled barreled name but his actual signature is just my married surname which is perfectly legal but raises some eye brows.

can i have a link to this info please? as i belive it needs to be signed, stamped and witnessed by a magistrate to make it legal it is a legal document after all, hence it needing to be done at the magistrates

I remember seeing it a while ago on TV where a bloke changed his surname online and it was completely legal (no link because I can't remember the programme it was something like Dispatches/Panorama). Although it was a test to see if he'd pass a CRB check or something similar and not to do with children's name changes. It did seem much cheaper online than using a solicitor (about £15 iirc) and it surprised me that it was legal as up till then I'd always thought doing it online was a con.

cant it just be done by deed poll, i know if your not the father but want to change a childs surname you have to adopt the child...im not sure on this mate

thats untrue, you do not need to adopt if your not the father but if the father is on the birth cert you may need permission, if there is no father info on birth cert or you are the father and your on it you can do it online through deed pool fill in all the info and pay with credit/debit card, then post written consent from the mother (father if on birth cert) along with a origional birth cert and id for the mother i did this couple years back for my daughter when i got married

Archived