The rumours get ever sillier..

We always had ''leaving do's'' though.

True, but, at my school at least, it was in the form of a disco in the school hall, with no nonsense about expensive prom "gowns" and travelling to it via a stretch limo!!

True, but, at my school at least, it was in the form of a disco in the school hall, with no nonsense about expensive prom "gowns" and travelling to it via a stretch limo!!

..aye, it t'were cart n horse in your day :hihi:

Guest sibon

If any good could come out of a recession....

My school had a leaving do too. It was a disco in the hall. It was not a prom. As Dozy points out; there is a difference.

Don't shoot the messenger! You live in a little tourist backwater obviously inhabited entirely by sophisticated people like yourself, who never believe an urban myth, but not everyone is that fortunate.

and stop SHOUTING at people!

For gods sake anyone who gets their knickers in a twist because they see uppercase text as shouting really needs to get out more. It's just words on a screen for heavens sake.

What's the difference, everyone got hammered anyway.

When I left secondary school there was no alcohol on sale, although some of us had a few beforehand. Most people turned up in jeans, etc. There was none of the ritualised 'dressing up in expensive clothes and hiring a stretch limo', that has become common now.

I dropped out of college, so didn't go to the 'end of college' bash, but I do know that it wasn't a prom either.

I have no particular objection to proms; cultures evolve. I was using prom to illustrate the general ignorance about what really does change our culture.

Archived