Domestic violence during the world cup

For the record, it is domestic ABUSE not domestic violence purely because people assume that it is only a physical thing when in fact the abuse could be physical, mental, sexual or even financial. The victims of domestic abuse aren't just women, it is children and a minority of men are victims. Men being victims is steadily growing. The perpetrator of domestic abuse does not need any reason for making someone a victim. They just do because they are just cowards

That's very true and I interpret the term 'violence' to encompass physical, sexual, emotional and verbal.

The perpetrator of domestic abuse does not need any reason for making someone a victim. They just do because they are just cowards

I think you're wrong to assume they're cowards if you're using "cowards" in the general term.

Not sure what you mean, skinz, but I reckon cowardice is often part of it. It certainly was the one time I've encountered violence first hand.

I am a tiny man. Even my wife says I look like the old Mr Muscle - the puny one.

One night I was woken up by the unmistakable noise of someone knocking seven shades out of the girl in the next door flat. So I went and hammered on the door - because I hadn't had chance to think it through, probably.

The bloke who answered the door was much bigger than me. Cartoon-ishly big, he was. And as I said, it's hard to see me from sideways on. Not as difficult as it was then, but I was younger then.

Anyway, when confronted by my asking what the hell he thought he was doing he started crying and apologising to me in the most pathetic manner. I told him it wasn't me he needed to apologise to, gave him my best withering look and went back to my flat, after telling her to knock on the wall if she needed anything. I never saw him again, and she never made eye contact with me again.

Clearly the bloke could have knocked seven shades out of me as easily as he could her, but when faced with a third party questioning what he was doing he fell apart, even when that third party was puny - consequently I'm in favour of any campaign that makes people think about what they are doing.

Not sure what you mean, skinz, but I reckon cowardice is often part of it. It certainly was the one time I've encountered violence first hand.

I am a tiny man. Even my wife says I look like the old Mr Muscle - the puny one.

One night I was woken up by the unmistakable noise of someone knocking seven shades out of the girl in the next door flat. So I went and hammered on the door - because I hadn't had chance to think it through, probably.

The bloke who answered the door was much bigger than me. Cartoon-ishly big, he was. And as I said, it's hard to see me from sideways on. Not as difficult as it was then, but I was younger then.

Anyway, when confronted by my asking what the hell he thought he was doing he started crying and apologising to me in the most pathetic manner. I told him it wasn't me he needed to apologise to, gave him my best withering look and went back to my flat, after telling her to knock on the wall if she needed anything. I never saw him again, and she never made eye contact with me again.

Clearly the bloke could have knocked seven shades out of me as easily as he could her, but when faced with a third party questioning what he was doing he fell apart, even when that third party was puny - consequently I'm in favour of any campaign that makes people think about what they are doing.

What I meant was, and I don't know of many. I knew a guy who's employer was feared by other blokes because he had no fear when confronting other men (but secretly he was a wife beater)...many men would see this as the opposite to cowardice and may even look up to them. Many men also come back from active duty regarded by many as hero's only to beat their wives/partners. Without going into the psychology of something it's very easy to relate cowardice and heroism to the point of confusion.

It wasn't meant as a defence of abusers. Apologies to those that thought otherwise.

Is there anyone on here who works in this field? With the statistics there's probably people reading this who would benefit from talking to someone who can help.

I dont work directly in this field but, i have regular contact with the projects in Sheffield and come across it alot through my work. I can post contact details if you think it would be of benefit? XXXX

I dont work directly in this field but, i have regular contact with the projects in Sheffield and come across it alot through my work. I can post contact details if you think it would be of benefit? XXXX

Thanks shinyhappy, it can't do any harm can it. :)

Archived