12% of inmates in UK jails are Muslim, but they are only 1.5% of population

You only have to look at the threads on here concerning crime and certain areas have a reputation for it, and they tend to be areas that are associated with poverty and poor education, irrespective of the race or religion of the people that live in them.

Yep i'd agree with that.

But the million dollar question is how do you break the chain. Say 'A' commits a serious crime (and has a social network of friends in said deprived area), the state tries to reeducate behavior with voactional training in prison & then releases said person back into deprived area & back to network of friends. It's a tough cycle to break i personally think!

Yep i'd agree with that.

But the million dollar question is how do you break the chain. Say 'A' commits a serious crime (and has a social network of friends in said deprived area), the state tries to reeducate behavior with voactional training in prison & then releases said person back into deprived area & back to network of friends. It's a tough cycle to break i personally think!

A lot of work goes into it Bedders, I was born and brought up in a working class area lived in social housing, but was one of those much maligned kids that was bussed into 'posh' school.

I hated it at first, but over time you take on the influences of the environment around you. I also believe the mentoring work that goes on in a lot of city schools is really valuable, we had nobody to aspire to, we didnt know we could go on to further education, we had to find out for ourselves.

It's still hard for poor, working class kids, I've agreed with artisan before that the struggle is really a class one, rather than racial or religious, so they all deserve a leg up and as much help as possible, irrespective of their colour, otherwise they'll fall further behind and be tempted by the superficial benefits of a criminal lifestyle.

If you said the word **** to one of these younger lads with a big outsize chip on their shoulder they would be very upset.

The word **** is a derogatory term used by ingnorant racists so please only use it when you are on the racist sites you visit.

Plese do not insult me in this fashion.

I have said nothing to you.

A lot of work goes into it Bedders, I was born and brought up in a working class area lived in social housing, but was one of those much maligned kids that was bussed into 'posh' school.

I hated it at first, but over time you take on the influences of the environment around you. I also believe the mentoring work that goes on in a lot of city schools is really valuable, we had nobody to aspire to, we didnt know we could go on to further education, we had to find out for ourselves.

It's still hard for poor, working class kids, I've agreed with artisan before that the struggle is really a class one, rather than racial or religious, so they all deserve a leg up and as much help as possible, irrespective of their colour, otherwise they'll fall further behind and be tempted by the superficial benefits of a criminal lifestyle.

Yep me too I was brought up on a working class council estate & have worked very hard (and perhaps been a little fortunate... but lifes about making informed choices I believe) to get where i am today. I've only been out of work for 4 weeks in my 23 years since i left school. In this day & age I'm very proud of that! I suppose that's my badge of honour!

I also think that we need to knock the attitude out of our modern society that conforming is 'square'. It's always been there but seems to be in the forefront of modern society much more now days. The younger generation seems dead set on pushing the boundries & role models such as Liam Gallagher aren't much to look up to....although he's a cracking talented musician... he's also a pillock!

Yep me too I was brought up on a working class council estate & have worked very hard (and perhaps been a little fortunate... but lifes about making informed choices I believe) to get where i am today. I've only been out of work for 4 weeks in my 23 years since i left school. In this day & age I'm very proud of that! I suppose that's my badge of honour!
..and so you should be fella :thumbsup:

The younger generation seems dead set on pushing the boundries & role models such as Liam Gallagher aren't much to look up to....although he's a cracking talented musician... he's also a pillock!

Well I've just watched Mo Farah take a lap of honour in Barcelona, with the Union Jack draped around his shoulders, having won the European Championship 10k.

Farah is a Somalian born Muslim, it's a shame the achievements of such people aren't celebrated more widely, but hopefully the young kids watching him perform for his adopted country will be similarly motivated to achieve.

..and so you should be fella :thumbsup:

Well I've just watched Mo Farah take a lap of honour in Barcelona, with the Union Jack draped around his shoulders, having won the European Championship 10k.

Farah is a Somalian born Muslim, it's a shame the achievements of such people aren't celebrated more widely, but hopefully the young kids watching him perform for his adopted country will be similarly motivated to achieve.

Yeah people have to have role models. They just need the belief.

Yeah people have to have role models. They just need the belief.

I've just copied this off Farah's Wiki page:

Farah arrived in Britain in 1993, aged 8 years old with his father from Mogadishu, Somalia, speaking barely a word of English. His athletic talent was identified by physical education teacher Alan Watkinson at Isleworth and Syon School, who later said of Mo: "When I first met him, he was struggling academically and suffering from the language barrier. He needed focus and I sort of took him under my wing. His passion was football but it was his turn of speed on the pitch that showed his real talent.

I'd never really heard of the lad before tonight, but he's come from the school of hard knocks, and was saved by the dedication of one teacher, hopefully Farah's sphere of positive influence will stretch far and wide.

I agree Suff, all the English folks I know who emigrated abroad in the main still support England, the World Cup really highlighted that.

These are people very committed to their host country, but naturally maintain a soft spot for the country of their birth.

And therin lies the problem..the country of their birth..you mean England then ? ..most of the youths flying the Pakistani flag will never have seen the country..as I said English/British when it suits..we have this debate on a regular basis on their status..come on you cant have it both ways to suit agendas

Archived