12% of inmates in UK jails are Muslim, but they are only 1.5% of population

1. The 2001 Census showed that people declaring themselves as Muslim made up 3% of the overall population. Given changing demographics, due to immigration and quite dramatic differences in cultural birth rates, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2011 Census put this at close to 5%.

2. The demographics of the prison population from the latest prison statistics show that 14% are 21 or under, whilst Age Concern report that only 10% are over 50. I would guess that close to 60% of the prison population is under 30 years of age. Due to the changing demographics of the population overall, Muslims will represent a significantly higher percentage of the under 30 age group.

3. What flamingjimmy said about poverty.

4. The number of prisoners that magically seem to convert to Islam whilst inside. :suspect:

They're over represented in that group, along with uneducated working class blacks and whites.

When individuals from those groups manage to achieve academically and financially their risk of offending reduces accordingly.

Many traditional English families have ancestry in England that goes back for centuries, consequently they have wealth that has built up over centuries and connections that have built up over many years.

Many from such families do not need to try as hard to succeed. The average Muslim does have a much higher hurdle to climb to success.

What the solution to this is I do not know. Crime however is not it.

The muslim protesters handed two and a half year sentences will do more jail time than some rapists, let alone burglars etc. I don't recall such sentences being given to non Muslim protesters who've got out of hand at a demo.

Seventeen people – all Muslim – have already been given extremely harsh and disproportionate custodial sentences to the alleged offence of violent disorder. A 19 year old aspiring to be a dentist, was sentenced to a year in prison for throwing a water bottle in the direction of the Israeli embassy. Despite the judge’s admission that the young man had an excellent character and the bottle thrown did not hurt anyone, he wanted ‘to send a message of deterrent to the rest of the community’.

Many traditional English families have ancestry in England that goes back for centuries, consequently they have wealth that has built up over centuries and connections that have built up over many years.

Many from such families do not need to try as hard to succeed. The average Muslim does have a much higher hurdle to climb to success.

What the solution to this is I do not know. Crime however is not it.

I don't think the offending statistics are significantly different between the upper classes and the professional/middle classes, in fact some of the dimmer members of the gentry have become famous for sailing close to the wind..and capsizing.

However, I'd agree in that in any scenario, crime is never the answer.

what do you mean?
What I mean is, Regardless of whether our actions make us saints or a sinners, faith is always available to those who seek it. It doesn't discriminate against or hold in contempt, those that wish to repent, whereas we all to often do.

No matter how many followers of a particular faith there may be, faith is, and will always remain a personal experience.

Why does there always have to be a different reason to the obvious one?.Is it so hard to believe that some groups are more attracted to crime and money than others?.Or can we not state the obvious anymore?for fear of being branded a rascist.

Why does there always have to be a different reason to the obvious one?.Is it so hard to believe that some groups are more attracted to crime and money than others?.Or can we not state the obvious anymore?for fear of being branded a rascist.

..but you're not stating the obvious, you're stating the false, since the propensity to crime isn't racially significant, the reasons are less obvious than you want to believe.

We're not talking about anyone's race, we're talking about their faith. Now brace yourself, cos the branding could smart a bit.:rolleyes:

Archived