“assassinate Thatcher”

In a hustings speech in support of his nomination for the Labour Leadership...

“John McDonnell says he was on the GLC – and that if he could go back in time and do one thing, he would visit the 1980s and “assassinate Thatcher”.

His audience applauded enthusiastically.

Maybe Labour's terror laws could be used to get him off the streets?

I don't think he should have said it - but was his comment taken out of context? It all depends on what was actually said and how it was said.

For instance "If I could stop world starvation by doing so then I would assassinate thatcher if I could go back in time."

Still not right but - context can mean a hell of a lot.

Kenny Everett said "Let's bomb Russia" at the Young Tory conference. He was wildly applauded. Senior Tories called Mandela a terrorist. Nobody reprimanded them.

If there is evidence McDonnell was building a Time Machine he should, of course, be questioned.

Kenny Everett said "Let's bomb Russia" at the Young Tory conference. He was wildly applauded. Senior Tories called Mandela a terrorist. Nobody reprimanded them.

If there is evidence McDonnell was building a Time Machine he should, of course, be questioned.

Kenny Everett was a comedian who made the comment in character as a ranting US general. Mandela was a terrorist when he was leader of the ANC.

The comparisons are irrelevant but it's interesting that you defend those who make death threats.

Besides, Thatcher taking afternoon tea with child murderers shows how contemptible and morally corrupt the old bag was.

I hope in the demented, doubly-incontinent, bewildered existence she lives in now she can hear the screams of Pinochet's victims ringing in her ears.

He didn't make a death threat, unless you believe he has a time machine?

Perhaps the chap who was twittered that his Doncaster flight might get delayed the following week could have used the same defence?

Is John McDonnell worthy of the post of Labour Leader?

To be fair he has been incredibly contrite since he made his mistake but there was a clear lack of judgement that you wouldn't hope for in the leader of a major political party.The response of the audience was equally disappointing.

Archived