Is anyone else getting telephone calls where..

No one answers.

And when you dial 1471 it doesn't do anything?

It sounds like one of those call centres, where it calls you before they pick up the call, but in this case, 1471 does absolutely nothing.

Very odd. Happened loads of the last few days. Very annoying!

Yes get them fairly regular. it must be some automated machine as it hangs up instantly everytime and without any clicks or anything. Not sure how or why can anyone enlighten us !!!.

Auto-Diallers work by calling loads of people at once, then if you answer and there is a telesales person ready you are put through, if there is no telesales person free then the phone is put down.

If you register with the Telephone Preference Service you should stop getting cold-calls. Google it. I'd post a link but i'm typing from my mobile and it's too fiddly.

Be careful because there's some scam where if you press 1471 and choose the option to call the number back, you're put through to a recording of a phone ringing, but actually it has been picked up immediately and you are being charged at a premium rate. I don't phone back numbers I don't recognise; if it was important they'd call back.

Auto-Diallers work by calling loads of people at once, then if you answer and there is a telesales person ready you are put through, if there is no telesales person free then the phone is put down.

This is actually illegal in the UK now.

Archived