Is anyone else getting telephone calls where..

But not for calls originating abroad.

The neatest solution I've seen is the TrueCall device, though it's not cheap (available on ebay at a discount).

UK telephone service providers are required to stop this from happening on their networks. A call that originates from abroad is still using their network. However this doesn’t mean they are that bothered about sorting the problem :roll:

I spoke to someone on line that use to make these calls for a living, she said the l,onger they can keep someone chatting (even about nothing) they get credit for it, a quick hang up from someone means there not doing the job they were hired to do.....so hang up, don't even argue.

If you register with the Telephone Preference Service you should stop getting cold-calls.

My partner works shifts so we registered with TPS years ago, but we still get many calls, presumably from overseas. I never let them proceed with their script, always asking the company name and address and whether they respect TPS. I've never been given a genuine company name or address or website, so even if I wasn't hyper-sensitive to the TPS issue, there's no way I'd go about doing business with a company that can't clearly identify themselves. They usually hang up on mention of TPS but without clear identification of the originator I've never taken this further. I'm not sure why, but even saying "do you mind if I take this call in the other room" scares them off immediately. Nobody has ever hung on until I get to the other room.

Archived