Why Do We Die ??

Yes...at the moment. They would need he ability to somehow transplant the mind, the sentient self, as well as the just the memories and some sensory abilities.

Since the mind is generally thought to be an emergent phenomenon I can't see any real way of 'transplanting' it that doesn't take it's substrate with it.

Even if the process is perfect, and the new consciousness believes it is 'you', either there are now two of 'you' (in which case the copy is clearly not actually the original you) or in the case of a destructive copy 'you' are now dead and a copy of you now exists.

So now it's my fault that you didn't like my reply to a quote you chose to make. Sheesh, just can't win. :hihi:

Why do you feel the need to win?

I felt that (relatively famous) quote was quite apt given the thread title.

Obviously you didn't, but the quote is hardly contentious or inflammatory enough to make an issue about.

Or is that just force of habit kicking in? :rolleyes:

I thought I would start a happy thread :Pjoke

On a serious note why? Everything seems to have a friggin expiry date. Can't genetics find a cure for ageing & we all live forever :( Or am I just being floaty asking this Q?

Talk to Aubrey de Grey. He thinks that we can. We don't even need a quantum leap in treating the pathology of ageing, but that with significant, regular improvements, some of the younger members of the forum may reach Longevity Escape Velocity.

LEV is the point where the advances every year in treating ageing, increase your lifespan by more than one year.

Why do you feel the need to win?

I felt that (relatively famous) quote was quite apt given the thread title.

Obviously you didn't, but the quote is hardly contentious or inflammatory enough to make an issue about.

Or is that just force of habit kicking in? :rolleyes:

Just keeping myself amused. You seem to be taking it all a bit seriously though.

I don't think that my reply to the quote was particularly argumentative, I was only pointing out that it fails to consider the death of others on ourselves. The quote's fine as far as it goes, but maybe there were a few more lines that history didn't preserve.

Just keeping myself amused. You seem to be taking it all a bit seriously though.

I don't think that my reply to the quote was particularly argumentative, I was only pointing out that it fails to consider the death of others on ourselves. The quote's fine as far as it goes, but maybe there were a few more lines that history didn't preserve.

I think the point of the quote missed you by a margin.

Archived