Should unemployment benefits be cut?

Now how do we actually incentivise them to find new work for the few that are happy to not bother?

An incentive to work is NOT removing or reducing the small amount of benefits they already receive. People still have gas. electric, water bills, travel expenses and food to pay for - even when they are unemployed.

The fact that you can't work it out for yourself merely re-inforces my point.

Reinforces no point as you have not made one. So make a point. What does it mean the fact that I have gone through many jobs during my life?

Most that I know do, they also play the lottery and a large percentage of them keep Mr William Hill in profit.

So we have to take from the unemployed the ability to pay for a £1 lotto ticket?

PS I'd already figured that you lived in a make believe world. :D

I like the fantasy world I live in. It's full of happy people. ;)

Again - your inane comments continue. What about those people who have worked MOST of their lives, and not claimed a penny back in benefits until the country finds itself in recession and they find themselves unemployed. What about all the money they paid into the system?

The state isn't a bank. We don't get back what we've paid in.

We pay in to support the weak and those who fall on hard times. Not those who consider not working to be a lifestyle choice.

What we all need to do is take a cut in our lifestyles, to help get the country back on track.

I've already taken mine, it's time those in the public sector (I include those on benefits in the public sector) took theirs.

This thread is about cutting unemployment benefits. People doing voluntary work are still claiming benefits. It is suggested that a cut in benefits apply to all - regardless of whether they actually sit at home drinking and watching television or go out doing voluntary/unpaid work.

Not all who do voluntary work claim benefits. many elderly people do voluntary work and state pensions are not classed as a benefit as it is contributory scheme.

I believe that we have to have a fairer system. The rules on JSA are quite tight anyway. I think what happened a few years ago when the rules were tightened is that a lot of people who were claiming JSA and didnt really want to work swopped on to disability benefits. These benefits can be much higher and although the benefits changed again last year to ESA, someone who claims to have a bad back and has a once yearly medical would have to continue ( as far as I know) to still send in sick notes from the doctor. The GPs have something to answer for here I believe as they are the ones who can decide whether it is in the persons best interests( health wise) for them to be at work or not to be.

Personally I think work is a therapy( most Occupational therapists will tell you this. )Well, the right type of work is anyway.

So if someone wants to do a bit of digging, I am sure that you can come up with the statistics that show how much we spend on benefits like ESA, incapacity and DLA( Disability Living allowance). If just a third of those on those benefits were contributing by paying tax from earnings then that would make a huge difference to our national debt.

Anyone want to offer up the figures?

Thi It is suggested that a cut in benefits apply to all - regardless of whether they actually sit at home drinking and watching television or go out doing voluntary/unpaid work.

You seem to have missed the point altogether, you belittled a previous post that suggested people should take what ever is available even if that is only a few hours per week.

I was merely pointing out that voluntary work / low paid work could be a means to an end although there is always the other alternative, do nothing other than moan about your lot.

Reinforces no point as you have not made one. So make a point. What does it mean the fact that I have gone through many jobs during my life?
In itself nothing, it depends how long you can manage to hold down a job.

So we have to take from the unemployed the ability to pay for a £1 lotto ticket?

It's not just £1 for most though is it?

It's not just the lottery is it?

So in answer to your question I'd say yes, we should remove the privilege for those dependant upon state handouts to waste OUR money gambling.

I like the fantasy world I live in. It's full of happy people. ;)

Why doesn't that suprise me.

Not all who do voluntary work claim benefits. many elderly people do voluntary work and state pensions are not classed as a benefit as it is contributory scheme.

I believe that we have to have a fairer system. The rules on JSA are quite tight anyway. I think what happened a few years ago when the rules were tightened is that a lot of people who were claiming JSA and didnt really want to work swopped on to disability benefits. These benefits can be much higher and although the benefits changed again last year to ESA, someone who claims to have a bad back and has a once yearly medical would have to continue ( as far as I know) to still send in sick notes from the doctor. The GPs have something to answer for here I believe as they are the ones who can decide whether it is in the persons best interests( health wise) for them to be at work or not to be.

Personally I think work is a therapy( most Occupational therapists will tell you this. )Well, the right type of work is anyway.

So if someone wants to do a bit of digging, I am sure that you can come up with the statistics that show how much we spend on benefits like ESA, incapacity and DLA( Disability Living allowance). If just a third of those on those benefits were contributing by paying tax from earnings then that would make a huge difference to our national debt.

Anyone want to offer up the figures?

A good, considered post.

Perhaps we should give GP's a target to reduce the amount of sicknotes they issue. Perhaps by penalising them financially for everyone they issue.

My comment was in response to the suggestion that unemployed people do voluntary work.

Are people who post on sf unable to take anything in context? Does everything need to be spelled out?

Here ya go - those people who currently claim unemployment benefit would still claim unemployment benefit even if they did voluntary work.

In itself nothing, it depends how long you can manage to hold down a job.

So you made a point of making a statement that was pointless?

It's not just £1 for most though is it?

It's not just the lottery is it?

So in answer to your question I'd say yes, we should remove the privilege for those dependant upon state handouts to waste OUR money gambling.

I can only go on personal awareness of the people I know and so far I do not know any who gamble, other than occasionally putting a pound on the lotto.

Archived