Egypt reccomendations

hi we are wanting to go to egypt next oct but havent a clue where to take our then 18 , 14, and 3 year old ! anybody any ideas, all 3 would be happy being right next to the beach but what other things could we do? have seen a resort called akassia swiss resort anybody been there ?? thanks

:-( where have all the egypt lovers gone i thought it was suppose to be brill, looks like it might be florida again yehhhh

Egypt is brill, it's fantastic, it's wonderfull.

I've offered to help you all you need.

I went there on a tour of the country last Sept / Oct and it was fantastic. I went with a compnay called exodus (google them, I can't include links yet as I've not posted 5 times)It was the best holiday I've had.

Probably not the best idea for a family with such an age range going, but the compnay do offer family packages, so if you are wanting to do something other than sunbaith, give them a try.

If you do go for the sunbaithing option, you'll be on the red sea coast most likely, but make sure you go to the pyramids. People will slate them as there is a KFC etc etc near by, but thats because it's a normal part of the city with other businesses as well. They are stunning.

thankyou def want to see the pyramids ive heared they are miles away from the hotels so didnt want to trek a toddler there, so my hubby was gonna take the older ones, i in all honesty felt i would have been cheated out of a great experience!! so to hear they are close to civilisation is good news an whats wrong with a kfc close by everyone gotta eat! lol, its todays world. also someone mentioned to my hubby that blonde haired people get a fair bit of attention over there, myself an my toddler are very blonde, and its kinda freaked my hubby out a little, with any luck he wont be offered 2 camels for us!! thanks for the info

My wife, me and our two boys (17&19) all went last year.

From what I've heard, don't bother with the usual Sharmel Sheik (if that's how it's spelt) It's too 'manufactured' and not really 'Egypt'.

We flew to Luxor and stayed in a Nile side hotel for a couple of days where we did the Valey of the Kings, Luxor Temple and a couple of other traditional trips. That in itself was well worth the money.

We then joined a 100+ strong 'roadtrain' of vehicles, with about every 10th being an armed police vehicle, on a four hour desert crossing. These crossings take place twice a day and are the only recommended way to safely cross the desert. There were all sorts of vehicles including scooters, vans and trade lorries, when you get to the next town/city they all dispurse and go off on their own way.

We endeded up at a resort just south of Hurghada. Fantastic... purpose built, hundreds of miles from anywhere, it's own coral reef beach halfway down the western coast of the Red Sea.

The resort had 7 swimming pools with fountains and waterfalls, one fed directly from the sea. All inclusive, including alcohol, and free disco's and family entertainment every night.

We spent hours snorkling with the most exotic fish, dolphins, turtles etc and did a diving trip to deeper water. You must take a waterproof camera, I got a digital one from Aldi for about £30 and also took a couple of cheap disposable film ones.

The one place that you must vist is Cairo. We flew, in a rickety old plane, from Hurghada to Cairo (about an hour) where we visited the Cairo museum and of course the Piramids and Sphinx....Un-<removed>-believable.

We had considered a Nile Cruise holiday but having spoken to several people who have done them I don't think it would suit us. Some people did one week cruising and one week in a resort.

Apparently, the routine for these cruises is that the boat travels by night, you are taken ashore, often in the very early hours of the morning, put in a coach, often for several hours, taken to a temple or some other ruin, coached back to the boat, and do the same next day etc. etc.

Also, apparently, you have to trust to luck as to the 'standard' of boat that you get when you arrive. We were told by a couple who enjoyed that type of holiday that they had been 3 times and even using the same company and specifically asking for a particular boat the were not guarenteed it.

The standard of the boats varies tremandously. There are thousands of them, all built the same size and shape, when we stayed in the Luxor hotel we watched them like busses going up and down and they are moored up to 3&4 abreast all along the river.

When we went back to Luxor to catch our flight home we were given the use of one of the companies boats as hospitality. It was moored the third out of four, all alongside each other, as I said earlier, they are all made from the same mould, you walk thought the reception of one through to the reception of the next, you are made very welcome to look around the boats and visit their shops, restaurants and bars.

Every one of them had a '5-star' rating plaque on the wall of the reception in the form of a hyroglyphic cartouch but the standard within the boats varied tremendously. One was incredably oppulent with polished wood paneling, leather chairs, chandeliers, a small swimming pool on the upper deck with cool water mist sprayers bult into the umberellas on the outer deck bars. You would think you were on the Titanic.

The one we were given to use, and it was still in service, was remenicent of a 1960's Wimpy Bar, formica toped tables, red vinyl bench seating, the top deck did have a 'pool' but it was no biger than a domectic spa that you might have in your garden.

Wherever you go, outside the sanctity of the resort, you will be accosted by children giving you 'gifts' and expecting a return 'gift' of money. That does get rather tedious.

Any way.

I hope this is of use to some of you.

Happy holiday.

Archived