Any advice on how to get rid of ear wax?

The other option if you're feeling a bit flush is Hopi ear candles - they essentially draw out the wax - but be prepared to be amazed when you see what comes out. :gag: This needs to be done by a trained professional.

I'd recommend the advice given by other posters - use olive oil or a proprietary ear wax softener (e.g. Boots own brand) for a few days. If this doesn't shift the wax then ask for syringing at your GP practice (you may be able to just see the nurse, not a doctor).

many thanks, yeah going to give it one more night then go back of friday and see what can be done

I'm having the same problem, i have one ear blocked & its driving me crazy. I'm unsure if its because i'm pregnant tho as i have read that the presure pregnancy exerts on the body & the production of hormones can affect the ears. I've been putting warm olive oil in my ears tho to soften the wax just incese there is a build up. I do seem to have a problem with ear wax & have to have my ears syringed every 5-7 years, its the most amazing feeling especially when you come out the surgery & you can hear everything :)

what was it like getting it done? did it hurt? I'm a big wimp!

Well i hate things being put anywhere near my ears but it was fine, its like a really small jet of water fired down your ear canal, then all of a sudden there is a pop and you can suddenly hear again. Not painful at all just a little weird. Then just keep it dry for a few days to stop infection.

Its really weird when you come out and you can hear every little sound, makes you realise how bad your hearing had got.

I'd been having ear problems for ages (obviously the build up of the wax) and not had any problems since. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Well i hate things being put anywhere near my ears but it was fine, its like a really small jet of water fired down your ear canal, then all of a sudden there is a pop and you can suddenly hear again. Not painful at all just a little weird. Then just keep it dry for a few days to stop infection.

Its really weird when you come out and you can hear every little sound, makes you realise how bad your hearing had got.

I'd been having ear problems for ages (obviously the build up of the wax) and not had any problems since. Certainly nothing to worry about.

oh thats put my mind at rest a bit thanks for that

The advice about the warm olive oil is correct. I use an eye dropper; half fill it, tilt the head and inject it into the ear then plug it with a small ball of cotton wool, you can coat it with vaseline if you wish to stop it soaking the oil. Do this every day and leave it in as long as poss. You might find that some wax will come out by itself, but after two weeks the wax should be very soft and should come out with the electric syringer which is adjustable for pressure. If not then a repeat visit should do it; I had to go 3 times before all the wax was gone.

UPDATE:

Just been to have it cleared out by the nurse using a water jet thingy-mi-bob and you should have seen all the crap that came out! I now have super human hearing and can hear things that i have never heard before! oh yeah and every one now talks with a lisp?! whats all that about?

Archived