'Women-friendly' mosques praised

indeed, its called voicing opinion

and on this matter my opinion is its a step in the right direction.

i've NEVER shyed away from saying yes on these threads i'm pro muslim........or should i say anti islamophobic but i've always said there is problems with islam and the way it treats certain people but these issues need addressing rather than oppressing muslims as a whole because of it.

and MJ for your information, not that i really need to.........i'm athiest, i dont believe in god.......or that we need religion for that matter

as the old saying goes

"there is no god in heaven so get off your knees"

In a fashion you are Islamophobic. You're applying you're own values to criticise the ways and teachings of Islam that may have been like that for generations.

should we have mixed public toilets then?

we still have a few boy / girl only schools (should boarding school dorms be mixed?)

the vast majority of play groups are still mostly women

is it really that bad that muslims in these mosques dont mix? what would the outcome be if they did?

to me it doesnt make a jot of difference tbh, but as i said its a step in the right direction.

isnt it better to be positive about them going in the right direction instead of condemming them for not going further??

Preferably not unisex toilets, seeing as the men's ones always stink and they pee everywhere.

Boarding school dorms should not be mixed, for obvious reasons, however, that is not comparing like with like.

Playgroups are mostly women because it is mostly women who stay at home and raise kids. What they should not do is exclude fathers.

The whole notion of separate prayer spaces for men and women in mosques is underpinned by the inequality that women in many Islamic cultures face.

Playgroups are mostly women because it is mostly women who stay at home and raise kids. What they should not do is exclude fathers.

The whole notion of separate prayer spaces for men and women in mosques is underpinned by the inequality that women in many Islamic cultures face.

so what your saying is...........its ok for our society to treat women slightly different

but not for them

and even when they start change you STILL cant bring yourself to whisper a word of praise

In a fashion you are Islamophobic. You're applying you're own values to criticise the ways and teachings of Islam that may have been like that for generations.

you know thats complete bull****

Where have I said that?!

in your playgroup remark, you seem to be excusing the fact our society still "even tho weve changed and are equal" still to all intents and purposes expects the woman to look after the kids and home while the father works.

it was the matter of fact type of way it was mentioned rather than the wording

you know thats complete bull****

No it isn't. You're using the same arguments that Empire Britain used when it took over the world, educating all these other "uncivilised" cultures and religions, imposing our values on them. It's about saying we are right, without question, no matter what their traditions.

in your playgroup remark, you seem to be excusing the fact our society still "even tho weve changed and are equal" still to all intents and purposes expects the woman to look after the kids and home while the father works.

it was the matter of fact type of way it was mentioned rather than the wording

Well that is not what my intention was, however the fact is that it is mostly women who stay at home and raise kids and/or work part-time. I am not excusing it in the slightest nor do I expect it to be thus, but it does appear to be the norm.

A place of prayer and worship and/or study is not the same as social club. The first aspect of the attendance in a prayer is the Wudzu, the ablution and as the old fashioned primitive thinking persists in western society also of having separate mens and women's toilets, the washing facilities in a Mosque are separate for men and women.;) the discussion groups are devoid of sexual attraction or any other deviation from calmly offering prayer, quiet contemplation and attempt at piety. That is better achieved by separate halls than everybody together having a natter.

That is how I see it rather than what the SF preachers usually tell me what we Muslims do in prayer and the reasons why:hihi:

There is little mixing of the sexes in any gathering as a cultural practice anyway rather than something that is perceived as being forced. Both sexes consider it a norm and there is little questioning of the system. Any interaction would remind you of formality of the Parliament with their honorable memebr of such and such statements according undue respect. The addressing of each other as brother or sister to people not related is commonly used. So, many avoid all that formality by steering well away from the opposite sexes.:hihi:

Although strictly not religious but many aspects are cultural rather than religious edicts.

Tab1 - I am completely with you on this one. What goes on in Mosques is a matter for the Muslim community. With respect, this is your religion, your tradition, your culture, history and teachings. Muslims should not feel pressurised to conform to what western values dictate or the whim of non-muslims. If Muslims wish to reform so be it, but it should not be seen as an obligation to fit in.

Archived